Memories of DOS gaming

I have long planned to make my doorbell synthesize the following speech:

“A hollow voice says ‘cretin.’”

1 Like

That is pretty much the only thing I remember about the game, how much fun it was to turn your deathmatch opponent into a chicken.

1 Like

I gave away my DOS era games via Freecycle about five years past. Two big boxes of them. Infocom, Origins, Sierra Online, Trillium . . . dozens of packages.

The guy who picked them up, I swear his eyes bugged out. Especially when I threw in a prototype Sound Blaster (“The Killer Card”) evaluation kit. I’m sure the stuff had collectable value, but at the time I valued getting some closet space back.

I still have a compendium edition of Ultima games, and a CD-ROM set that includes Masters of Magic and Masters or Orion.

Dos Gamers the SS of the PC MasterRace

1 Like

They were way ahead of their time for that. I think i managed to connect only a couple of games over the modem; but those games were completely hilarious when you got the egg attack and you chased the chicken around trying to kill it.

I can’t believe the article failed to mention ANY of the Sierra games. Not a word about Maniac Mansion, or Wing Commander. Hell, what about the original Castle Wolfenstein, or Duke Nukem? WHITHER COMMANDER KEEN?!?!?! MICROPROSE?!?! For goodness’ sake, did I grow up in an alternate 90s than all the other DOS gamers? Did I hallucinate all of those countless hours of game play?

3 Likes

C 6 4 l i f e

1 Like

Games that took away countless hours from my life:
Mean Streets
Bad Blood
The Colonel’s Bequest
Quest for Glory I-IV
Police Quest
Space Quest I and II
XCOM 2

We had an EGA for a loooong time. That meant it was hard to find new games to play by '92.

Man, all this talk is triggering memories. I remember slirp and tia way back when. I was CRL for my dialup.

Yes, and below that picture, there are the words “The ruling class,” as Beschizza called DOS gamers “the second-most elite caste of the gaming master race.”

Scorched Earth.

2 Likes

You are not happy campers. The lack of Star Control 2 comments here makes me frumple.

Off to play some frungy.

1 Like

Heh, there was always that one guy who would spend all of his cash on a single Deaths Head. “I’m going to die, but I’m taking all of you with meeee!”

1 Like

Telengard.

The original Duke Nukem and Commander Keen, If memory serves…

Mine was lost many moons ago, but the internet provides in my time of need:

p.s. hated that friggin’ elf

SC2 was in a category by itself. Wonder-filled and poignant.

ENJOY THE /SAUCE/

Oh, God, the game that gave me the official moniker “teenage game tester.” (Ok, technically, Gauntlet II, but I still dream about needing food, badly.)

http://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue115/364_1_IN_FOCUS_THE_MORE_THE_MERRIER.php

In case anyone cares, the halls of Mindscape in those days looked like something straight out of Pee Wee’s Playhouse.

Also, all the fans of Star Control II should know their history and go back and play Starflight and Starflight II on DOSBox. It’s practically canon.

Could be my mind playing tricks on me but I think I remember that BBS from the first half of the 80s even.

1 Like

Mother of all games.