Metal monolith found in Utah desert

I appreciate your articulate encapsulation of this thing which also annoys me! I think partially it’s because a lot of people (such as myself) never get to a point in math education where they learn that “dimensions” are a somewhat arbitrary concept that can be applied to many domains. It certainly comes up in data science from what I gather. But in all seriousness, your breakdown of science in digestible ways is indeed always appreciated. :pray:

2 Likes

It’s out there, if you want to see it on Google maps or earth. I won’t link it just because you enjoy the aura of mystery and I won’t spoil that for you

(not to make you “do your own research” a la Q)

Going bone homicidal really getting smarter?

1 Like

It’s all a simulation, but it’s a driving test. You’re graded on how you treat people.

7 Likes

Seems too cliche for a mysterious object… Singular metal monolith.

One presumes from the monolith networks’ decision in 3001: The Final Odyssey to eliminate humankind to protect the Europans that smarter ≠ wiser. Then again, networks often cancel shows that have jumped the shark.

1 Like

This made me think of this recent story about installation of nuclear waste markers for future civilizations.
We can now see it might be more a draw than a warning to stay away.

https://daily.jstor.org/can-we-use-art-to-warn-future-humans-about-radioactive-waste/

5 Likes

You are precluding my further inquiries!!! Just kidding. Yes.

2 Likes

Despite the ethnic humor not holding up so well, I think Albert Brooks’ Defending Your Life is a pretty decent take on it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I love that movie. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Wait…

And China is planning a mission to the moon?

Do not F-ing touch the one buried there!

2 Likes

Honestly, I often wonder why DOOOOO I come here?!

(It’s definitely the food – it’s DELICIOUS!!!)

1 Like

I found it! Oh wait, that’s Utah Monolith Total Landscaping. Never mind.

18 Likes

In lo-res:

3 Likes

surfer

3 Likes

This had made my day. How could I not have heard of these guys before?

And to get your files into ‘the cloud’ you need to tie them to a bone and find an ape with good throwing skills :grin:

2 Likes

It is bait

1 Like

That just raises the question what’s inside?