Mysterious massive metal monolith appears on Wales hillside

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/11/mysterious-massive-metal-monolith-appears-on-wales-hillside.html

5 Likes

Being pedantic here, but no it isn’t. You can’t have a steel monolith. Mono Lith. One big stone. This is a pillar or a prism or something like that.

10 Likes

Hmmm.

Anyway, how would you feel about a “steel stele”? Because then you’d get some anagram fun times. On the other hand, the monolith doesn’t look like it’s inscribed with any text.

7 Likes

“triangular”?? dammit, it’s gotta be a rectangular prism with (visible) dimensional ratios of 1:4:9 sez so riiiight: here. don’t these covert monolith depositors (or CMDs) know nuth’n!?

(full marks for the alliterative headline nonetheless)

5 Likes

Does anyone report urges to get violent with pieces of bone?

12 Likes

And though I once preferred a human being’s company
They pale before the monolith that towers over me

3 Likes

That’s… not how you build a henge.

5 Likes

It’ll be an advert for the Heavenly Hills mall

1 Like

monolith appears on Wales hillside

Don’t you mean “appears on Welsh hillside”?

2 Likes

I’d overwhelmingly strongly suspect that this steel is too anthropogenic to qualify; but does anyone know if there’s a flavor of nickel-iron meteorite with enough carbon involved to qualify as a steel?

I’m not a geologist, or geologist, or playing a geologist on TV; but I don’t see anything that would prevent steel from being a perfectly respectable mineral(or perhaps class of related minerals, you’ve got some options in terms of crystal structures and elemental compositions; but the same is true of many minerals in unimpeachable standing); were it to occur naturally.

Obviously; if this were a natural steel monolith that would raise the interest level considerably vs. a synthetic steel stele.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.