Mexican cities secede to escape corruption and cartels, forming corporate dystopias, precarious utopian projects, and Mad Maxish militia towns

So, when do we get to the part about the religious meme spreading to people’s heads like a virus, people fighting in real life and virtual reality, Uncle Enzo’s pizza, etc?

Because this is literally fucking Snow Crash.

1 Like

While I just heard a friend recount driving around baja on a lovely weeklong camping trip. YMMV.

1 Like

[citation needed]

Rural and suburban areas with alcohol, meth and heroin problems beg to differ.

4 Likes

Hi Canada!!!

5 Likes

Screw what the ranting orange clown has to say. I say what we should really do is go back in time and prevent NAFTA.

3 Likes

Hrm.

You could start by spending money on solutions that might actually work, instead of choosing solutions your own enforcement agents and engineers tell you are ineffective.

That would require courage and consultation, though, instead of sound bytes and politics.

Oh well.

5 Likes

Since we’ve got the time machine, why not go a little further?

3 Likes

Sez Wikipedia:

In 2015, the five states with the highest rates of death due to drug overdose were West Virginia (41.5 per 100,000), New Hampshire (34.3 per 100,000), Kentucky (29.9 per 100,000), Ohio (29.9 per 100,000), and Rhode Island (28.2 per 100,000).[76][8]

Not exactly the states most likely to come to mind when people use the word “urban.”

3 Likes

Oh god! I’m so sorry. That’s horrible.

And in terms of “shitty urban” ATL, there is the little matter of the current wave of gentrification, with the majority of new intown housing being upscale apartment developments - the West End and the South side are next, mark my word on that. It will no longer be a “shitty urban” city, in the sense of high crime and violence, but in terms of shitty, hipster chains and only white people of means living inside the city limits.

5 Likes

Well if we’re gonna lose ourselves in fantasy, then let’s go back even further, and warn the Native Americans “Don’t talk to Strangers!”;

7 Likes

On a similar note:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.