Micro Journal ReVamp is a compact ortholinear writer deck

Originally published at: Micro Journal ReVamp is a compact ortholinear writer deck - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Charlie Stross has some thoughts on a writing deck he’s been using.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2024/09/zen-and-the-art-of-writer-deck.html

3 Likes

It seems like the computer equivalent of writing with a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint, or writing with a goose quill and inkpot rather than a fountain pen. Or writing with a scribing stick on an unfired clay block, rather than a wax tablet.

It looks like a cool gadget which does a lot less than a Chromebook for a similar price.

I’m not persuaded.

1 Like

Add a period right after this and you understand its target audience’s desires.

2 Likes

Is it distraction free because the keyboard clicking will make anyone else working in the vicinity want to leave?

2 Likes

Exactly. Fountain pens are :sunglasses:, goose quills are :sunglasses:, cuneiform is :sunglasses: i don’t get the argument.

3 Likes

personally, i’d rather have an eee pc reboot but i respect rob’s weird obsession with things more artful than functional but presenting the other way around – from a design standpoint they’re cute lil decks.

2 Likes

snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

3 Likes

I feel it’s different to taking photos on film rather than your phone. (Both of which I enjoy.)

If I wanted that stripped down to the basics writing experience, I’d rather get a mechanical typewriter than a computer which has been deliberately limited to act a bit like a typewriter. There’s something in the experience of the physicality of tools which demands physical tools, rather than emulations of them.

I know the writer deck isn’t exactly a typewriter emulator as such. I’ve looked at several similar devices on the market, and they’re a bit pricey for taking a punt on.

surely someone out there has connected a typewriter to a raspberry pi? bonus points for magic slate style reusable paper

The exact point where “compact” turns into “small” isn’t clearly and universally defined and very easy to miss.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.