Microsoft spams corporate users with messages denigrating their IT departments

They might be getting confused with the Internet Explorer ‘End of Life’ nag in that KB that is a completely different thing but also a part of Microsoft’s drive to unfragment its software environment.

3035583 is the one that delivers the Windows 10 upgrade offer, it just didn’t trigger on domain-joined computers until now.

Not only sensationalist but also shows Cory doesnt really understand corporate windows admin infrastructure. I suppose there are places that just push out every patch through WSUS/CAS/etc but every place I’ve ever seen only pushes out patches they’ve already checked.

2 Likes

I’ll also add that 99% of everyone working in a corporate environment is not interested in computers, does not care about computers, and doesn’t want to learn a new OS. Windows made its money embedding itself as the go-to in office environments when Apple was struggling to keep its head above water, and it would take catastrophic missteps from Microsoft to jeopardise that due simply to the inertia of trying to get people who simply don’t care and aren’t interested to learn something new just because it might be technically better.

Good point but OTOH why should they care? They arent paid to, outside of IT support its not in anyone’s job description, etc.

Sorta but also remember that VisiCalc on Apple II computers was the first business tool that started getting “personal computers” into the office. Corporate purchasing departments were very hesitant to do business on large scale with upstarts and by the time the IBM PC & Lotus 123, WordPerfect, etc come along, the real embedding of the platform for Windows was already set.

Apple was still in pretty robust financial health by focusing on other markets than corporate. Windows struggled for quite a while because DOS software was so embeddded and early Windows versions of standard office apps were crap compared to the DOS versions, not to mention the upgrade costs, etc.

Agreed. IT departments and Finance departments understand that OS upgrades have costs far beyond the price per license of the OS but that it is part of the business cycle and sometimes has to be done.

2 Likes

Oh I completely agree. I mean, a decent amount of computer use will be in an office worker’s job description, and having computer literacy can help them do their job, but when a user calls me over because they want Outlook installed I click on Start type “outlook” and pin it to their desktop. As far as they care I just installed Outlook for them, and yeah, that’s my job. My job isn’t to give them a lecture about the Start Menu any more than theirs is to give me one on tax forms, and for the large part they care as much about what I actually did as I do about corporate tax rules.

2 Likes

I think there are plenty of competitors for Outlook/Exchange that are as good, though none of the ones I’ve used are better. As of now, you are right, and google docs is still not a serious competitor for Office.

1 Like

Forget “if you’re not paying for the product, you’re the product.” Today, no matter what, you’re the product.

Not that I disagree, but I always get a little Grinchy smile on my face whenever I see this piously intoned on boingboing.net (a Happy Mutants LLC joint feat. Urbandaddy and Stacksocial, brought to you by DoubleClick and QuantCast in association with Yieldbot, ScoreCard, and Google Analytics).

6 Likes

free as an update…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.