Millions of lead-filled CRTs have been abandoned in warehouses across America

We just have to call the garbage company at least a day ahead of time and then we can leave electronic items at the curb for them to pick up.

We inherited one of the 200 pound CRT Sony Trinitrons from a friend. It gave yeoman service for over a decade, until we needed the floor space it and its stand occupied. It took nearly a month to give it away, still working, on Freecycle.

3 Likes

Buy a cheap derelict cargo ship. Fill it, then sink it in the ocean. Problem solved. Make big bucks (or lira, as the case may be).

I inspect industrial buildings. For stuff like this. And worse stuff too. You have no idea. When its bad, it’s real real bad.

4 Likes

Didn’t think there was a CRT furnace in America, but what about this one?

http://www.nulifeglass.com/crt-recycling-services/safely-recycling-crts-tv-screen-computer-monitors.htm

If anyone wants to add other facilities around the world, feel free to comment.

2 Likes

In my country[1] I just take them to the local waste recycling centre any day except Saturday. If I really do have to dump something on a Saturday I can just drop them off in the next town when I go shopping (bigger dump, more users, makes it viable to open on Saturday). Failing that all shops that sell electronic goods are required to accept the same kinds of goods for recycling regardless of where they were bought. And many of those just have a skip that you can dump things in any day of the week any time of the day or night.

[1] Norway

3 Likes

That one is under construction apparently, but yes that seems a good idea. Powered by Niagara Falls is a funny thing to add, like they are using specific electrons from the grid (rather than a trick of paperwork and billing).

Still, a good thing. Hope it’s run well!

4 Likes

Just grind them up and make water filters out of them, ground glass makes the best water filters…the answers right there people…no one has the vision…sad

4 Likes

Begs the question of where the ewaste recycling fee Californians have been paying on screens since 2003 is going. The article mentioned someone in California telling them to check other warehouses which implies CA screens were being shipped to this company.

3 Likes

Not to mention: Where are the +millions of pounds of batteries from the past few generations?

IE: Some “future” generation WILL be paying for our greediness/selfishness !

1 Like

This is DISGRACEFUL.

Why haven’t these been sent to Africa yet?

( Partly tongue in cheek, but how do you think they’d actually have ‘recycled’ them if they hadn’t gone out of business, eh? )

I thought we sent this to India for children to recycle?

3 Likes

In the software world, a lot of thought goes into refining the development process to be mindful of downstream consumption–e.g. test driven development, DevOps, etc.

One wonders if the world of physical things could benefit from such thinking? Including recycling considerations as a part of the product development process. A spec that manufacturers must adhere to in order to sell their goods in the U.S.

Africa.

4 Likes

http://www.ban.org for more. It’s the wakeup call that has been going on since 1997, unfortunately.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.