Mimas has a liquid ocean

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/07/mimas-has-a-liquid-ocean.html

11 Likes

Now I guess the question is what kind of liquid ocean does it have?

13 Likes

Always could be wrong about latest theories, yet Mimas had some density calculations which pointed at a composition of water, so if there’s liquid it would be water …maybe.
ref1 | ref2 | ref3 |

8 Likes

Maan, it’s never whiskey. Stupid space.

33 Likes

Champagne and orange juice.

23 Likes

Salty?

9 Likes

Tip Of The Cap GIF by Giphy QA

14 Likes

Green molten cheese:

7 Likes

A heady mix of water and ammonia is the best candidate - so an ocean of bathroom cleaner.

I guess it must be tidal resonance that’s generating the heat - IIRC it’s in a 2:1 resonance with the more massive moon Tethys, but I’m not sure if that could produce enough energy.

14 Likes

In an infinite universe all things are possible. That suggests a planet with a Mimosa ocean somewhere out there. Or a moon, circling the planet Margarita (with a ring of salty asteroids, of course).

12 Likes

And I know just how to find it!

20 Likes

When I as a kid, we were told that life, as we knew it, was probably limited to Earth in the solar system, as no other planet had liquid water.

Now, we’re up to what, half a dozen confirmed and another few suspected?

If we ever do make contact with alien species, statistically speaking I’m afraid we’ll find that most of them come from icy bodies with liquid interiors orbiting gas giants, not rocky planets with damp surfaces. Considering the additional obstacles to space travel for such species, they may also be much more advanced scientifically before they make it off-planet, not sure how that would even play out.

Still, it would be amusing to finally get to drilling into the oceans on one of these icy moons and discover it was already colonized by crab-like aliens millennia ago, but they never even thought to look at the Earth, as it obviously couldn’t support intelligent life.

8 Likes

12 Likes

Enceladus is my favorite property in the classic board game Solarquest, where the house rules are to pronounce it “enchiladas” and you always call the game’s currency “Space Bucks” and never Federons.

8 Likes

It’d be interesting to come up with a plausible route to a technological civilisation that didn’t require harnessing fire - something that’s not possible in a submarine environment.

7 Likes

ubi ibi vita

Correcta.

1 Like

Yes, what are these shifty water-containing liquids that can support 5 miles of ‘rocky’ exterior? Oops! All corpses! But we’d approve of what had to die? One spherical-limit piet`a? Viridian Apartments? Chocolate volcano cake?

7 Likes

… that’s no moon

7 Likes

Your third way sounds plausible.

Peculiarities in Mimas’s orbit had led astronomers to entertain two possibilities: either it contained an elongated core shrouded in ice, or an internal ocean that allowed its outer shell to shift independently of the core.

5 Likes

Hydrothermal vents?

3 Likes