Minus is a finite social network where have a limit of 100 posts—for life

Originally published at: Minus is a finite social network where have a limit of 100 posts—for life | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I find it doubtful that the world would be interested in reading 100 diatribes or ruminations on anything that I put out there. It’s bad enough that I inflict my opinions and worldview on you poor souls here on BoingBoing.

15 Likes

Some, um, interesting people manage that on the BBS quite easily.

8 Likes

good !

1 Like

So, it’s not that different from actual blogs, because, I think, most people start blogging with hopeful aspirations but stop posting well before 100 posts…

5 Likes

Hello World!

99 to go

6 Likes

I’m not sure how this could be avoided; but it seems like there’s a very strong pressure toward this ending up being a exercise in agonizing about uncertain future information rather than being reflective and selective about documentation if one moves from concept to actually trying it out.

“Write up just the important stuff; manageable length please” is more or less exactly what’s required of a memoire or a biography; but both of those are written after history has provided at least some context for events and enough has happened or failed to happen that deciding what is important is at least achievable in principle if not necessarily easy.

Doing that without the benefit of hindsight means a lot of attempting to guess what will end up being relevant in the context of things that haven’t happened yet.

5 Likes

Will anyone actually read or see the post?

4 Likes

I guess, like boing boing, you can create an alternate account on Minus. :grin:

3 Likes

Well, now, if that were the ONLY social media… but unfortunately we can also tweet that much every day just for starters, and more’s the pity.

1 Like

Minus is a functional platform, an artwork, and a piece in Grosser’s show Software for Less at arebyte Gallery in London.

Yet another wanna-be artist’s desperate cry for attention, under the guise of mocking social media’s propensity for people to cry out for attention.

So, it’s not that different from actual blogs, because, I think, most people start blogging with hopeful aspirations but stop posting well before 100 posts…

Reminds me of the discussions about quantity vs quality in artistic production. There’s an old chestnut about pottery students graded based on production volume or based on best quality of a single piece. The students who did the former also scored higher on the latter.

In this case, people might never use up their alottment for long form posts, but the simple sense of restriction and scarcity will prevent them from ever really producing the valuable thoughts, as they’ll have to create some dreck in the process.

1 Like

An artist’s statement is but a carefully fabricated press release intended to make you believe the artist’s explanation of their intention. In fact, their intention may (inadvertently) be something entirely different.

It’s hilarious how this triggers the reaction of “only 100 posts?” Like that’s supposed to be an unreasonably small number. But if I give myself a timeline of two years, and do one journal entry per week summarizing how my week has been, that should be good enough.

1 Like

Here’s what I mean: the artist consciously writes “I intend A” but subconsciously they really intend B. So even though their stated intention is one thing, their subconscious (perhaps a better word than “inadvertent”) intention is another thing.

Then according to your argument, the entire field of psychotherapy relies on pure speculation about what is really going on in somebody’s mind, since we really have no way of knowing whether what somebody is saying is really what they’re thinking.

1 Like

Motivating people to post 100 things on a social media site without likes and follows sounds aspirational not limiting…

2 Likes

Minus sounds like all of those “focused” minimalist word processors. To my mind they are all instances where a developer didn’t have the bandwidth to develop a full featured product, so instead they try to sell the lack of features as a virtue.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.