MIT blocking release of Aaron Swartz's Secret Service files

well, perhaps more soberly; Where do you draw the line?

…and from whence sprang this conspiracy about an ethical release schedule?
Frankly, the attribution of empathetical humanity to this institution not only belies the evidence of reality but also undermines the notion of a common shared experience.
Edit: tense

But I also think that MIT now realizes it lives in an unbalanced world where people are angry.

-FTFY

Like I implied, I have rather extensive knowledge of a piece of FOI legislation from a different jurisdiction (in the English-speaking world, no less). It would seem very unlikely that the laws would be so different in this regard - lawmakers like to tweak things pointlessly, but usually follow other jurisdictions on these kinds of things. Privacy is about the only exception that MIT could fall back on, and I can’t see how its relevant.

Unless, that is, the federal FOI statute in the states was gutted at some point or devastated by some high court rulings. This seems unlikely because: 1) when governments don’t like their FOI laws they just stonewall so there is little need to gut them; and 2) the wonderful rulers of BoingBoing surely would have let us know!

If MIT wants a chance to look over the parts of the file that pertain to them to make double-sure no identifying information is released then I suppose they could make that argument. I’d give them that part of the file, they’d get to suggest redactions, then an FOI expert from the government would review their redactions. This entire process should take about three days. If that’s what they are asking for, then I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Here, let me introduce you to this novel concept called “international law” and “war crimes.”

MIT can “PR” all they want, it won’t change the fundamentals of their clumsy and self-destructive actions. They did what an “institution of higher learning” should never do, especially one that primps itself to believe in its eliteness.

A generation will remember that MIT broke a butterfly on a wheel, helping to destroy the life of a born and demonstrated leader of progressive culture. So will the many books that will be written about what they did. It was a great shame which they, and by extension JSTOR, are only continuing to earn themselves.

I can only wonder what MIT would do about Richard Feynman’s shenanigans if he were a student there today. And can only be reminded of the saying “The Nail that Sticks Up will be hammered down.”

Oh, it’s so nice to meet you two! Have you met my friends: excuses and moral relativism?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.