Mobile Home University, where the rich teach others how to rip off poor living in trailer parks

I’m the odd duck, because I never internalized the concept of “trailer trash” or that trailer parks were for poor people. My intro to the concept of the trailer park was my grandmother’s place in Chino, CA, which was a retirement community primarily aimed at upper-middle-class elderly Jewish couples (or widow/ers, after a time). It was WELL kept and WELL maintained - looking back, it was a trailer gated-community rather than a trailer park.

I certainly get that I was viewing one HELL of an outlier in terms of what they were actually like, but I still have to actively remind myself that this sort of thing is the much-more-common form.

i’m not so sure you can say that. i mean, of course it wouldn’t be in the same way, but i’m sure that people “fall through the cracks” in cities too.

i think the trade-off with cities was that along with the downsides (increased cost, disease, crime) you got a lot of opportunities (culture, trade opportunities, maybe a safety net). nowadays with the “micro-fiefdom” model discussed here, you can get gouged in the countryside too, but without the benefits of city life.

it sucks for basically everyone. the lack of savings is a symptom, not the problem.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.