Money talks: policy with a business model

[Permalink]

I lile the phrase “last thing you need when looking for a needle in a haystack is more hay” it would be better without the extra e in needle

I agree with the thesis, but it makes me wonder - why is austerity so popular? It has been demonstrated again and again it not only impoverishes the middle class; it impoverishes the rich as well.

For example, when poor people have more food stamps, WalMart makes more money - and yet WalMart lobbies against food stamps.

1 Like

Sometimes ideology wins over pragmatism.

1 Like

I am of the opinion is that any legislation passed with less than a super majority should have a mandatory “sunset clause” causing the legislation to expire in something less than 10 years, forcing it to be reconsidered by a future congress. Such questions as, “did it produce the intended results” and “was it worth the expense” and “can we still afford it” and “did it have additional unintended adverse effects” should be addressed at the legislation’s expiration. In my opinion this should be a constitutional amendment.

2 Likes

So something like the 1998 ctea would not be subject to this reappraisal process since it passed the Senate by unanimous consent, and the house by voice vote.

This is a well-known axiom in public policy: if a proposal generates concentrated benefits and diluted costs, it is likely to be approved.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.