Monitoring programmers' stress levels accurately predicts the quality of their code

Yeah. I may have, err “borrowed” some code from @PatRx2.

2 Likes

A͏͉͓̙̮̱ͅh͙͡.͖̝̞͔̺̻ ̵̮͚͕̼I͎̠͖͈̫̺͘f͔̲̰̳͉̫ ͞y̪͚o̙u͇̘̪͝ ̯̳͔͍̭̻b̗̖̻͓͚o͡ŕ̭̠͎ͅr̡͍̭o͚͟we͏̮d̞̲̱ ̴̼͓̜̯͎m̝y̲̟̯͙̭̱̥͞ ̞̜̝̜c͠o͍̮̗̩d͓͚è̬,͇̱̺͎ ̘̪̰̦͇̖̝͝y̹͙o̘͓u͈ ̙̺̗̘̕s̺h͍̠̬͈̞͇ͅo̥͙u̳̩l̵̻͙̲̞d͕͚̺͠ ̤͍̹̬̲̮ḇ͙e,̺̻̤͍ͅ ̖̖̟͉͡a̵̘h͙̫̭̕.̧̖̱͕̳͔.͖̤͕̼̟̬.̧͕͔̲̠̪͚ ̜̯̙͙i͏m̖̻m̗̱͔a̠͎̙̹n̵̙̰͚͎͚̗̭è͖͚͇̯n̸͓t̹̦̯̥ͅi͟ͅs̟̜̟i͍̳̫̠̦n̺͕̹͈͚͍̠g͏̫͍̠̱ ͚̩̺̖̥͎̪t̖̙̮͓̲̱́h̶e͓͢ ̪̥̠̤e̶͖̞͉̲̞ͅs̥̮͖͢c̹̪̤̬͠h͈̱͎̺̞͇̲͞a̠̱t̪̫̦͚̮̤̼͞o̦͉̬̱̣n̺̹̳͢ v͓̖̻̫͟e̻̱r͉̙̭̭y҉͍̣̠͚̠͙ͅ ̰̠w̛͙͕̞ę̬͎̦̮͉̜l̮̳̮̲l͚̣̫̬.̮̥̗͕͉̝̹ ̮͘W̖̘̰he̯͇̻̗n̛̝̩̙͉̺̥̣ ̫̕d̟̥̜̹͍o ̕w̺͍̝̻̤̩e͏̹̜ ͈̞e͇͎͚̩͟x̫͎̪̫̟̭̟͠p̬͕͖̙e̙̺͇̣̭̪͠c̳̠͕̙̮̪̘̕t̸̪̫̥̘ͅ ̝͇̜̭̙̙̯t̳͖̠͚͕͢hè̞ ̙͞f̦̞i͠r̰̼s͕ţ͍̪͕̝ ̤͚̤̫̗̱̳O̻̤̱ut҉e̘͍r̹ ̝̪̠͉͉G̘̗͇̼͔̻̻o̷͎̪̳̘̭̳d̦̝̦̩̠͚s̷͖̠?͚͍̫͙̞̤͘

6 Likes

I believe the study should be redone with American politicians as the study group, using the widest possible set of biometric probes. Just to get the numbers right, you see. And let’s start with, uh, two years for the first study set, starting…after November?

2 Likes

My skill at darts follows a similar curve.

4 Likes

It’s a good thing strength of memory does, too.

May I suggest an ultrasound biopsy as an integral part of the monitoring? Done, say, every two weeks?

(Edit: I do mean the trans-rectal kind - I figure the majority of pols are still men…)

2 Likes

Will there be room for both the probe and their heads?

3 Likes

I’m sure we can always make room - they use a lot of lube during the biopsy, so getting the necessary slipperiness to jam both in is pretty much a given.

1 Like

This could get management to understand that “push harder” sometimes makes things worse.

1 Like

So I could see this working and not being a privacy concern if it was a personal thing for engineers. I get code reviews and test done of my work not because I have too but because I take pride in my work and don’t want to produce crappy code. With the move towards more self determination in teams and end to end ownership this seems like something that good engineers would want to do on their own as a safeguard to their own pride in their craft. A mobile app similar to the sleep apps that track your stress levels via something like a fitbit or smartwatch could be very useful.

So comments can be useful but I much prefer self documenting code and using unit tests to codify the expected behaviour of code over comments. The advantage of unit tests over comments is that if you change the expected behavior then the tests brake and you need to fix them, comments don’t do this.

Yeah I actually said to a guy yesterday afternoon that he could have the data he wanted in 20 minutes, done badly, or 9 AM tomorrow done well.

1 Like

See also: Phrenology

1 Like

“Elegant, commented, on time: pick any two”

• Old coder’s maxim

Yes! If Dunning-Kruger taught us anything it’s that the least reliable appraisal of one’s skill is one’s own appraisal.

I’d hazard this result is only about quality of each programmer’s code over time, relative to their own best/worst work. Probably meaningless when it comes to comparing between programmers.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.