The Pentagon has a device that can identify people without seeing their face

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/the-pentagon-has-a-device-that.html

3 Likes

I would bet drug use messes it up.

Also there is the issue of them needing your data in the first place…

…but I am sure Facebook is coming out with a fitness tracker soon to handle that. Possibly free! Pentagon sponsored.

31 Likes

I was thinking the same thing. This sounds like a good tracker, for somebody you want to follow, but you couldn’t scan it over the crowd at a protest and get a list of people.

If you could, that would be useful for identifying undercover provocateurs and cops that take off their name tag.

11 Likes

This is fine.

5 Likes

Right. You would use a bluetooth or IMEI sniffer for that.

6 Likes

Ha! I wrap myself up in reflective foil anyway whenever I have to leave the bunker!

26 Likes

Ahem…

9 Likes

Get ready for the wearables that transmit random heartbeat signatures.

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure you mean Prophylactic Pacemakers™

11 Likes

23 Likes

That’s a beautiful term.

4 Likes

“I don’t want to say you could do it from space," … but we can.

11 Likes

Well as long as you don’t get your Cardiac Signature put in their database you’re ok.

And as long as you have nothing to hide, you are okay too. You know. Until you aren’t.

I mean, if this laser can detect a signal, then presumably it can also record a signal. So if you ever do anything the government frowns on, and you are with laser sight, you are as good as in the database.

The horror practically writes itself at this point.

9 Likes

I don’t understand why they just wouldn’t shoot you with the laser in that case.

3 Likes

Because it’s not strong enough to kill?

I’m just saying, if they aren’t yet to the point of disappearing dissidents, not being in their database is just one protest attendance away from being rectified.

5 Likes

How much memory does the device have? They gonna store everyone’s cardiac fingerprint? Probably not. Likely it will be used to hunt specific people. So, if some government-type used it at a protest march they would be locating people they know are leaders, not ID-ing everyone involved one by one, and in a crowd like that they’d have a hard time storing everyone’s cardiac fingerprint to ID them later if they tried.

Still, this dystopian future is shaping up to be everything sci-fi warned us about. Goody goody.

3 Likes

How much storage space does a cardiac fingerprint use up? It seems like it wouldn’t take a terribly complex strings of ones and zeroes. Then it would just be a matter of filtering and matching.

I hope you are right, I fear you are not.

4 Likes

Airport security checkpoints are an excellent place to gather all sorts of biometric data.

8 Likes

Well they better get working on that part!

1 Like