Montana becomes first state to ban TikTok

Originally published at: Montana becomes first state to ban TikTok | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Signing the bill into law, the governor said “There is no reason why the Chinese government should have easy access to detailed information about the citizens of Montana. If they want to know everything we do online, where we go, what we buy and who we speak to, they’re just going to have to buy that information from an American-owned company, like Facebook. Or one that’s partially-owned by the Saudi royal family, like Twitter. Or any other giant, intrusive data-aggregator. The great state of Montana will not tolerate these attempts by the devious Chinese to cut out the middleman and spy on Americans at a discount by collecting the data themselves through their TokTik app.”

37 Likes

(reads your comment carefully)

10 out of 10. No notes.

14 Likes

Beat me to it.

5 Likes

Yeah I was going to write a really detailed comment, then read that and said, “Nope, that’s pretty perfect. I’m good. Carry on!”

5 Likes
2 Likes

Republicans! The party of small government and the first amendment!

5 Likes

“The new law slaps a hefty $10,000 daily fine on any “entity,” like an app store or TikTok, offering access in the state”

What? AFAIK, app stores and TikTok servers aren’t located in Montana and they don’t “offer” the apps to particular locations in the U.S. The way that I read this is that Montana has arbitrarily decided that it’s up to the app stores or TikTok severs to filter out any traffic originating from Montana that attempts to download TikTok or face $10k/day fines?!? Except that Montana has zero jurisdiction over those out of state servers. Those dim bulb legislators probably have $$$$$$$ signs in their heads dreaming about all of the fines they’re going to collect from this ideocracy…

Should be very entertaining to see how this plays out!

1 Like

I guess they just fully expect to not have the GenZ vote. Also TikTok stores most of the us data in the united states and Oracle handles it.

Funny that was never mentioned at the hearings.

2 Likes

This is so stupid… like, how will this even work?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.