More reporting links Clearview AI to Trump-aligned racists, neo-Nazis, and alt-right trolls

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/07/more-reporting-links-clearview.html

“Big Brother, it turned out, was wearing a MAGA cap”

5 Likes

Everyone knows that you’re the Real Racist for pointing out my racism.

3 Likes

Where are the gun loving Patriots who swore to the internet that they would defend our liberties?

4 Likes

22 Likes

Cernovich, weev, Johnson, Thiel… where is Clearview’s corporate HQ, a (Führer)bunker in Mos Eisley?

5 Likes

Turns out, by “defend our liberties,” they really meant “defend neo-Nazis’ liberties and literally no one else’s.”

9 Likes

I wonder what it would take to get rid of this company. How many back-up systems would need to be corrupted, how many buildings would need to be burned down…

3 Likes

A SCOTUS ruling declaring it unconstitutional for police departments to use their services.

Or, given the court’s current composition and Roberts’ deep concern for Clearview’s shareholders, your suggestions… it’s always the hard way when fighting fascists.

4 Likes
4 Likes

I was thinking about that. Right now, most of their users are individuals, even if they’re frequently working for law enforcement. I imagine that if it were deemed explicitly forbidden, it a) wouldn’t stop law enforcement that don’t care about being constitutional to begin with (CIA, ICE, CBP, etc.), b) cops would still use it individually but not list it in their evidence, instead finding alternate means of figuring out the information like they do with inadmissible surveillance/informers - i.e. parallel construction. (E.g. “I got an anonymous tip!”)

3 Likes

Like these guys?

Or these ones?

I expect shit is closer to hitting the fan than you think, but you can never really tell what will actually flip the switch before the fact.

Whitefish, Montana?

4 Likes

a lawsuit certainly wouldn’t do the trick. I DO like your fire idea. You accidentally spill the gas, I’ll absent mindedly throw lit cigarettes in their general direction.

1 Like

Just need someone to “whoopsie” a few viruses into their remote backups…

No shit? The guy who on his website called himself an “Anarcho-Transexual Afro-Chicano American Feminist Studies Major” has sympathies for the alt right? Really?

I believe him! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That is very revealing by itself. The terms that I usually see from genuine anarchists are trans-anarchist, tranarchist or tranarcho-[whatever school of anarchism they believe in].

1 Like

The sad thing is that I read a German newspaper story about him that cited that self-identification as proof that he hadn’t always been alt right. They took him at face value. Journalists who don’t understand the internet or fall for trolls like that really shouldn’t write on these topics. They only make his job easier.

2 Likes

Waiting for evidence to link Clearview AI with Zoom…

1 Like

That’s rather random and spurious. You expect a link from poor past attention to security, and a sudden uptick in attention payed to your platform because security researchers are suddenly using it (zoom), to malicious action and the far right?