More Richard Scarry's 21st Century Busy Town Jobs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/10/more-richard-scarrys-21st-ce.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH the classic childrens’ book series is again brought into contemporary times.

13 Likes

I’m laughing and crying at the same time.

19 Likes

Extinction%20Level%20Burn

17 Likes

Impossible to pick a favourite.

12 Likes

On a cartoon level, I liked the picture of a fox being kicked in the balls, and the fact that the snake is wearing a shoe

10 Likes

Wonderfully spot on! I loved scrolling down to “Lowly the Worm” as the lowly immigrant.

4 Likes

Wow, I think Ruben’s really done it with this one. Probably his best.

6 Likes

This is as brilliant as it is depressing. Bravo!

2 Likes

The mystery that they need to solve this episode is the case of the rapey Supreme Court candidate. I bet that they will do a better job than the FBI.

He did it, but he keeps lying for the good of God and Country. He confesses right after every time he lies, so his sins are always forgiven.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t that really be “Richard SCAREY”?

3 Likes

" fact that the snake is wearing a shoe" - like the original Richard Scarry.

4 Likes

Superb! Brought back childhood memories with a brutal modern twist.

3 Likes

That’s not a snake, it’s ‘Lowly Worm’.

7 Likes

This is almost like The Garden of Earthly Delights, panel 3.

5 Likes

That’s Lowly Worm, or in this case “Lowly Immigrant”. Hi-larious!

Bolling’s a genius.

TIL this:
About 500,000 Lowly Worm and Huckle Cat finger puppets, distributed by Taco Bell in 1993, were voluntarily recalled by Taco Bell following complaints that the puppets had become stuck to children’s tongues.[6]
Thanks, Wikipedia!

3 Likes

I had a horrible feeling that story was going to end differently. Glad it didn’t.

Somebody tried it though, right…?

It’s funny because it’s true. Although I’d take one exception - despite Trump’s claims, “Wall Builder” isn’t actually a job. “Imaginary Wall Builder,” maybe.

1 Like

Me, too! And of COURSE the “ice man” is from ICE.

1 Like