More than 150 feared dead in Miami apartment block collapse

3 Likes

I have to imagine some corners were cut somewhere that led to this tragedy. The only question is which one (or many). Corners cut on permitting? Construction? Inspection? Maintenance?

1 Like

Would you consider Oklahoma City bombing to count? So much of that building collapsed from the blast.

Yes, you are correct. I apologize that my statement implies the victims will be grifting…the impacted families are entitled to all the aid and assistance they can get.

But I don’t trust DeSantis to oversee it or put it past him to use this as an opportunity to enrich himself or his cronies.

8 Likes

I share your misgivings/ distrust of Gov. MoRon and read your post as just that.

as to every one that has questioned inspection (having been skipped or cursorilly performed), the Champlain was presently (until this) undergoing the mandatory 40 year inspection required of buildings in Miami-Dade.

5 Likes

I didn’t think of that, although I was thinking of buildings that collapsed due a design or build issue, not direct action.

1 Like

Fair enough! I was just thinking of it since you mentioned 9/11. But we are fortunate, buildings in general don’t fall down too often on their own.

Yeah, the “once every 40 years” inspection reaaaally ain’t gonna cut it these days, given how quickly things are changing, even without any unresolved historic issues with the foundations.

The hot Miami real estate market makes me think they’re trying really hard to get as close as possible to allowing Ben Shapiro’s advice that you should sell your house if it is under water due to climate change, to be a reality.

At some point, probably pretty soon, there’ll be enough collapses of enough buildings in a short enough time that they won’t be able to memory hole the issue. The only question is how many people will need to die before that happens.

7 Likes

I mean it looks like a bomb went off,
but we’re pretty sure a bomb didn’t go off.
So it’s something else.

Yeah…

As soon as you say “I mean it looks like a bomb went off,” that’s proof a bomb went off.

As soon as you say “but we’re pretty sure a bomb didn’t go off.”, that’s proof you are unqualified to say whether a bomb went off or not.

As soon as you say “So it’s something else.” that’s proof you are part of the globalist coverup.

3 Likes

Holy heart wrenching. Did anyone else hear this interview this morning? (10 minute listen)

The interviewee is so hard on herself :cry:

Also, more about the victims who weren’t so lucky:

5 Likes

heart wrenching is right. difficult listening and yes, she was really down on herself. that condo was her community, her friends are missing and she was going to retire there, like what I call my “forever home”.
can’t imagine losing all that and my cat.

6 Likes

The switch may not be from memory hole to recognition. It may be from memory hole to old news. We have a lot of mass death problems that we’ve just kind of accepted and it isn’t out of the question that building collapses could join mass shootings and traffic deaths as recurring mass casualty incidents that require no introspection or reevaluation.

6 Likes

Well, there’s a horrific thought. Though the lack of a history of building collapses might (will hopefully) work against that. With mass shootings and traffic accidents, it’s literally ‘always been that way’ so it’s a lot easier to accept.

1 Like

[looks at people responding to covid]
A lot.

No, when this issue is addressed it will be because collapsing buildings means loss of money.

4 Likes

The thing about covid is people die completely out of sight. Collapsing buildings are as public as you can get, especially if it’s local. (Though the US press has apparently been downplaying this one.) But yeah, the loss of money will probably be a larger motivator to deal with it - and will likely coincide with climate change destroying the ability to live in Miami. At which point I imagine we’ll go from “it’s not a problem” to “it’s such a serious problem the federal government needs to bail us all out on our stupid property investments.”

4 Likes

I’ve avoided saying anything at all in that direction, for both the obvious reasons and because I’m not nearly knowledgeable enough to actually contribute to the discussion. But as someone who grew up in Hawai‘i and then moved to Wilmington, NC, the four story wooden structures on North Carolina’s barrier islands have always seemed insane compared to how and what we do and don’t do in Hawai‘i.

After watching all the drama play out over the attempts to stop and hopefully reverse the course of the inlet migration at the North end of Wrightsville Beach, with the Army Corps of Engineers trying to protect one hotel and twenty mansions, finding out that this town seems to be similarly situated, but with a bunch of much larger buildings all clustered right there, is just horrifying.

4 Likes

Maybe they could build some sort of wall?

1 Like

Here’s a somewhat surprising take on it from twenty years later: 10 years later, Mason Inlet move deemed 'success' - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

But yeah, I guess they were successful. And teh mansions in that article’s photo were not the ones I mentioned; everything at risk was on Wrightsville Beach, that photo is of Shell Island, though possibly taken from the endangered North End of Wrightsville Beach.

I see no mention in either of those articles about the very controversial corrugated steel pilings that were sunk to varying depths just outside the hotel. I seem to recall those being ruled illegal after the fact, but neither recall the outcome nor feel compelled to research further.

1 Like

Florida as a whole is in serious jeopardy due to climate change, as it’s all close to sea level (the state is, on average, six feet above) and the bedrock is porous, so even if you build sea walls, the water seeps right under it. So it’s not like they can even spend billions of dollars to try to save anything, because it won’t help. Even if you replaced all the buildings with something that could survive being on water-infiltrated soil, the groundwater would be undrinkable. Places like Miami are in particularly bad shape as they’re build on sand and former swampland, sinking and having sea water get under the foundations. During especially high tides you have flooding and sea creatures roaming parking garages. The city is running out of time, but real estate prices haven’t remotely acknowledged the reality yet, apparently because everyone involved is convinced they can find another sucker to buy the real estate before it’s worthless.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.