Most mass shooters driven by personal grievance, and about one quarter by conspiracy theories and hate

~11% of the population, not of the white (non-Hispanic/ethnicity unknown) population, so you screwed up your basic high school level math. Given that, would you consider that you also screwed up the significance of that calculation?

9 Likes

Your bigotry is showing, just FYI.

9 Likes

What Can I Say GIF

6 Likes

There’s a pretty strong connection between all of them, though…

@Mindysan33

Oh, no, sorry - it’s still only January…

8 Likes

Yes, and probably not-well constructed facetiosity. It turned out to be driving trollies, which I did not intend.

5 Likes

Also it’s easy for a “personal grievance” to incorporate conspiracy theories and the like (i.e. a guy loses his job and decides to blame Jewish cabals or immigrants for everything going wrong in his life).

11 Likes

Exactly. Very few mass shooters have only one motivation. Maybe none.

10 Likes

I just bought Bloodbath Nation by Paul Auster and Spencer Astrander, which I recommend everyone to read

1 Like

This right here is the key. Research like this is suuuuuper dubious because how on earth can you distinguish between “ideology” and “personal motivation” in another person? Most of us don’t know these things about ourselves. The idea that some FBI profiler or whatever can determine exactly why yet another angry white man shot people is ludicrous.

The man might say, “it’s because I hate my girlfriend” but is that really because he has deep seated issues with women? Probably. He might say, “because they fired me”, but is that really because he thinks immigrants or affirmative action are taking his job? Probably.

7 Likes

Perhaps relevant:

ETA this is a gifted article so it is not paywalled

6 Likes

Looks like you gifted that article. Be sure to mention that in your post, so that people know they can click on the link.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.