Movie scenes before CGI effects often look very odd and ridiculous

- … . / -.-. .- .-… .-… / … … / -.-. — – … -. --. / …-. .-. — – / … -. … … -… . / - … . / … — …- … .

5 Likes

Similarly, if you like law and order, it is a bad idea to watch C-SPAN.

If you heard some squeaking from across the Atlantic, it was my rusty Morse.

3 Likes

Sometimes the stand in location is almost within sight of the place it is representing. ISTR that in “The Red Shoe” (the Tom Hanks remake of “The Tall Blond Man with One Black Shoe.”) he ran up the steps of the National Gallery of Art with the Capitol in the background and then into a congressional hearing. As if the NGA was one of the congressional office buildings on the OTHER side of the Capitol.
Or the TV show “Wonderyears” where at times the Canadian side of Niagara Falls was used to represent the American Side.

1 Like

All the time. I think the first time I saw this kind of invisible CGI work done was on Contact, and it blew my mind. Obviously there’s lots of fakey stuff in that movie, but they used CG in virtually every scene, just to tweak lighting, add atmospheric effects, fix hair, etc. And that was in 1997. I’m sure it’s even more prevalent now.

But these days it’s honestly just way cheaper to use CG than it is to do things “for real”. Check out this FX breakdown of scenes from Deadpool: virtually everything is CG, but you’d never know. That movie was made “on the cheap” – can you imagine how much it would cost to rent a section of freeway and stage this scene with actual actors? But this is a movie directed by an animator, so he knows how to stage things and not make it look fake.
https://vimeo.com/159011768

1 Like

The next thing you’ll be telling us is that all the popular actors celebrities of our time that play the exact same character in every film they are in aren’t really actors either.

3 Likes

Hey - if they can do it against a green-screen and holding a lumpy cloth doll, they’ve got skills.

#MAD SKILLZ

2 Likes

Amateur.

2 Likes

So you’re saying that Christopher Lee was no amateur…

2 Likes

(post deleted by author as he had no suitable response since initial response was written in jest and juvenile thinking)

Movie scenes before CGI effects often look very odd and ridiculous

To be fair, a lot of movie scenes continue to look ridiculous after CGI effects. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

On reflection this also makes filming in places full of things you don’t want some chowderhead to accidentelly anything to. IE Library of Congress, The White House, The Vatacin, Ruins that are historically valuable and would be degraded by all the foot and vehicle traffic, nature preserves.

Suddenly the costs of transport, permits, and all make CGI attractive when you need specific locations that would normally be absolute not a chance in hell of places.

2 Likes

I’d say a little of both.

VFX studios run on razor thin margins and don’t often get a cut of a film’s profits. Just think of how the studio that did Life of Pi’s VFX went bankrupt pretty soon afterward despite Oscar nominations and huge critical acclaim.

4 Likes

Here’s a great one from Star Trek Into Darkness:

3 Likes

Saw this recently while aimlessly wandering through the youtube.

Shots of flying aircraft and automobiles in traffic are quite often done in the computer because it simplifies liability problems.

7 Likes

The one thing missing from most of these GI elements - and now I can see why - is weight. That dragon head is barely making an impression on her lap, for example.

2 Likes

I think that this has real rehabilitive potential.

You can barely see the scarring in the “AFTER” image.

5 Likes

Stage actors have been working with less for centuries.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.