Movie scenes before CGI effects often look very odd and ridiculous

"When we got back to Los Angeles [Olivier] said, ‘How did your week go, dear boy?’ And I told him we did this scene where the character I was playing was supposed to be up for three days. He says, ‘So what did you do?’ I say, ‘Well I stayed up for three days and three nights.’ And [Olivier’s] famous line was, ‘Why don’t you just try acting?’

7 Likes

Staying up for three days and three nights in order to see how you yourself respond and react for future use is great, but it doesn’t work so well when your character is required to kill multiple people.

3 Likes

It’s less to do with how much or how little the animators are paid than how many people it takes to get the same end result. It can take a pretty big crew to handle all the permits, security, transportation, lighting, sound, catering etc. for even a short scene shot in a busy public location like the steps of a New York City courthouse.

Also remember that much of the time a movie or TV show isn’t produced anywhere near the location it’s set in. The West Wing was mostly shot in Burbank, so if they could find a practical way to make Martin Sheen & co. look like they were in D.C. without actually flying everyone there then they’d be smart to take it.

1 Like

OMG, I cannot overstate how much I love Hardware Wars. In the late 70s or early 80s my brother and I subscribed to a magazine called Cinemagic that was dedicated to teaching amateur home movie film makers (usually on Super 8 or 8mm film) to design and make props, sets, costumes, etc and do cheap special effects. I knew of Hardware Wars from the magazine and as a 12-13 yr old hardcore Star Wars fan, I was DYING to see it. When my parents got ON-TV and SelecTV I was able to finally watch it and it was even better than I had expected. My folks also had a VCR (one of those early faux wood grain ones that was the size of a footstool, weighed a ton, and cost a fortune) so I was able to record it and I watched that tape scores of times over the years. I never got an official VHS copy, but I did later make a better bootleg by copying a rental tape, and I’m pretty sure I still have that one. I now have the original version on DVD, and it still makes me laugh all these years later.

3 Likes

I noticed that there are minute adjustments to the actress’ expression for that scene using the lighting/filter, and perhaps CGI.

I wonder how often such touch ups occur.

1 Like

I think it’s just photos taken at slightly different times - note that her hand is in a completely different pose?

Mind you, I don’t doubt they also tinker with expressions at times.

1 Like

You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll kiss three bucks goodby.

Those were the days.
I first saw it at a sci-fi con, way back when.

2 Likes

I’ve gotten to that age when I want a footstool worthy of the 60’s.

1 Like

24 Likes

MIND. BLOWN.

(Body is invalid, try to be a little more descriptive).

OK! Brainspore just introduced me to the novel idea that they are shooting every single thing I see on TV on an empty soundstage and then filling it in with cgi and that blows my mind! There! Happy now? Are you!?!?

5 Likes

More or less!

Doing optical trickery for background scenery isn’t even that new of a phenomenon. Orson Welles never had a giant mansion in which to shoot Citizen Kane, and the Mission that plays a central role in Hitchcock’s Vertigo doesn’t even have a bell tower in real life.

4 Likes

MIND. BLOWN.  

3 Likes

Any ornithologists in the house? Is that a great pair of tits or a pair of great tits?

6 Likes

In the example from The Man from U.N.C.L.E, they got the photos the wrong way round. The one with the train is the completed CGI shot, and the one with the ominous derelict building is the original location.

1 Like

Well, kind of both. Individuals who could do the work were in low supply and in demand so use to get payed more. Now there’s lots of skilled artists that can do the work and you now need fewer of them and they need to do less work. Software and hardware have become much more accessible too and anyone can build or rent a render farm. He’ll I remember when you’d need a million dollar workstation just to do decent video editing. Now I can do real time 4k on a two thousand dollar rig.

3 Likes

But that subverts the very intention of the comment system! I wouldn’t want to be you when it becomes self-aware. You’ll be the first one up against the wall…

#! 

4 Likes

Nooooooooo!!! 

2 Likes

you may love hot dogs but that doesn’t make it a good idea to tour the sausage factory

2 Likes

3 Likes