MP wants to ban email disclaimers

Many people in work environment actually print some of their emails. It can lead to funny situations (or not so funny for trees). I still keep as a memorabilium a whole 500 page ream of paper that contains a printed email with 50mb of attached pictures that were somehow converted to text files in the process.

2 Likes

Paper comes from trees grown for paper. There are no forests of old growth being cut for paper. Want more trees? Print more email.

1 Like

Just last fall. I encountered a case where a signed form was supposed to be FedExed to the receiver. I thought it was just outdated text – surely nobody really would not find a scanned e-mail attachment perfectly acceptable in 2014, but no…

And now subscribe to the digest version of a mailing list, where everyone has signatures like this, AND they top-post without editing, thereby quoting not only all of the material they’re replying to, but the giant signatures. With infinite, nesting, daughter replies, quoting themselves over and over and over into bloated hell-spawn messages that truncate before you’ve even got half the digest.

1 Like

1 Like

No, you really don’t, otherwise “verbal” (oral) contracts would not be valid. But email disclaimers are not contracts.

Those huge sig files make weeding your way through nested e-mails a royal pain in the arse, regardless of printing.

How about we just be happy about somebody trying to do something that would make one small aspect of life a bit less annoying, rather than worry about the misguided reason why he’s actually doing it?

1 Like

I said enforceable, not valid. It’s hard to prove in court that you said yes, but easy to prove it’s your handwriting. That’s why your pappy always said, “Get it in writing.”

1 Like

Verbal contracts are, in fact, legally enforceable. But I grant you that that it is harder to make them stick due to lack of easy confirmation of the contract, though a video of the agreement could make them as ironclad as the written equivalent.

I have been tempted to replace my mandated work signature with the text of The Oatmeal’s just to see if anyone would notice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.