MRE mystery: What are these 'patriotic' sugar cookie shapes?

Are you implying those are supposed to be sexy cookies?

5 Likes

Midsommar spoiler alert.

2 Likes

But really aren’t all cookies sexy cookies?

9 Likes

What is patriotic about plastering symbols of your country on every single piece of merchandise (consumable, wearable, wipe-able or otherwise)?
Does washing your dishes with Stars-and-Stripes-Totally-Non-Toxic-Trust-Us-Dish-Soap-Like-Product really stir the love of country? Does not doing so signal latent anti-American sentiment?
Asking for a concerned neighbour…

6 Likes

Why do you hate America??? (/s)

12 Likes

Yes this is patriotism! Its patriotic because we say so! If you don’t like the red, white and blue then why don’t you go back to France!!

/s

21 Likes

I see what you did there.

8 Likes

Is that the rare nine star version of the Stars and Stripes, only used between June 21 and June 25 1788?

3 Likes

6 Likes

:heart_eyes:

I like these so much better!

3 Likes

Until someone pointed out the “Liberty’s Torch” thing for the bottom right cookie, I thought that was someone giving a ‘thumbs up!!’

I agree that it’s likely the Liberty Bell, complete with crack.

1 Like

Perhaps someone carefully ate it off, like a choloate Easter bunny’s eyes?

Cookie Puss / Fudgie the Whale

2 Likes

I remember back in 2002 I was at some event and gave another participant, who was from Spain, a ride home. She commented on all of the flags everywhere, most of which were not actually flags or on poles. She said something like “This would never be acceptable at home. Only fascists use a flag like this”

She was not wrong

14 Likes

I think I have mentioned it before but when I moved to a United State as a bobling, no one had told me about the pledge of allegiance, and on my first day of 5th grade there was a sort of Hitchcock dolly zoom effect as I wondered if I was going to be OK. I mean, even at age 10 I’d seen TV shows about this sort of thing. Including American TV shows, is the weird part.

I always thought a fun antidote to the whole smothered-in-flags esthetic would be a bunch of electronic highway signs saying “the year is 2022”, “your name is Joe Banks” etc.

5 Likes

I agree, those two are too similar to be coincidence. They’re the same eagle design but with different crumbling/imperfect stamping. Rotated version overlaid on each other for reference:

cookie

The overlay isn’t perfect but part of that is just because they were photographed at slightly different angles to the camera.

13 Likes

These are patriotic cookies made for service members. You’re not supposed to ask any questions about them. :wink:

3 Likes

People will watch to see where you first take a bite. You can’t win.

Lower left - bart simpson’s hair. Iconic, longest running cartoon in the world. USA USA US DOH!