Multiscreening is the new Multitasking

It’s kinda my thing… I just hate when notionally informed people write foolish junk like this which then gets picked up everywhere. Like Cow got at above… teach people how to use their tools RIGHT instead of encouraging inefficient workflow.

One might have different groups of tabs (work vs entertainment vs a second work project) on the different devices.

If so they should be syncing their tabs and they could then choose to look at them anywhere they want. FYI you can further separate your tabs into windows. I’ve usually got several windows open, each with 3-10+ tabs.

No need to be a jerk about it, different people think and process information differently. To each his own.

Very efficient people tend to have similar workflow. To each his own, but one’s own may not be one’s best: just the way they are used to.

as I don’t want to worry about just where my mouse cursor is at any one time

O.o

I’m not saying using multiple devices at one is bad, per se, I’m just saying that multiscreening is not the new multitasking as the author makes out.

What kind is your cheap ass phone?

Make/model?

There a ton of lightweight apps that can help with moving links between devices. If all else fails there’s always the trusty ol:

As Cow mentioned I believe this is only via icloud at the moment. My understanding is that Yosemite and ios8 will do it in safari by default with no interaction required by the user.

Android Chrome (ridiculously, IMO) doesn’t have extensions yet. So it’s everything from gestures to self-destructing cookies I use with Android Firefox that Chrome can’t touch (yet).

I know. But apps is what my computer is for (except they’re applications.) Calling people is what my phone is for.

No interaction is pretty much what’s promised with ios7. under ios6, iirc, you could share the bookmarks and reading list. I used the reading list to synchronize tabs, but it was a manual operation. Now the tabs on my imac are listed under the cloud button on my ipad, and vice versa.

Yes, icloud is still used, but as chrome accomplishes the same sort of thing through Google accounts, neither, infrastructure could be said to have a decisive advantage–i would prefer something like Airdrop, honestly, because my connection to my router is loads faster than my connection to the icloud servers.

Also, privacy.

Sorry, I should’ve been clear: I meant on Safari mac version to Chrome mac version.

re this part of your comment:
I also should mention that Safari on Macs has superior extensions compared to Google Chrome on Macs.

Just curious, as I find that Chrome on mac has most the extensions I want (but, again, FF has superior ones)

Just to be argumentative, and I’m not just trying to crap on Apple here (typing this on my imac), I would contend that using icloud is less advantageous because you’re already signed in to your mac and iphone using your apple log in. Why require connectivity to two services when you’ve already got one that will suffice?

Using the apple/google comparison it would be like having to specifically set up google drive to share tabs, rather than it just doing so via the service you’re already signed in to by virtue of being logged into your phone/computer.

It’s a minor thing, I agree, but not entirely insignificant. icloud goes down periodically (as any cloud service will) but it is comparatively very infrequent that systems controlling user login databases go down for apple or google.

[edit: lol, ^ this was google’s fault]

I think it’s very subjective to everyone’s varying workflows and personal preferences. One person’s must-have Extension is another person’s waste of time. I also have the advantage of personally knowing more of the Safari Extension developers and I get custom features added by request. That said, I have a report I made a while ago of all the various Extensions, Add-ons, etc. for all the major browsers (including IE) where I tested them all against each other and weighed the overall impact with my specific workflows.

What I found for my needs is to use Safari and its Extensions for most tasks, then Chrome and its Extensions and strengths for other less-often used tasks, then Chromium and Firefox (and even a virtualized IE) for more esoteric purposes. It helps that all this runs on an i7 CPU MacBook Pro with a bunch of multi-cores, 16GB of RAM, discreet GPU, etc.

I’m also the esoteric freak that often runs both Alfred and LaunchBar at the same time so I can utilize both of their strengths, so my setup isn’t normal by any stretch. Anyway, I’ll dig up that report if I remember to grab it tomorrow and pluck highlights from it later. Unfortunately, for security purposes I’ll have to leave some out. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.