Murder machines: why cars will kill 30,000 Americans this year

http://www.crumbproducts.com/files/A-SHORT-HISTORY-OF-AMERICA-.jpg

2 Likes

I should have said food stamps. There is a difference, right? That’s easy. The person in front of you pays with an EBT card, and as you leave you see them piling their stuff into a new SUV.

I’ve also delivered free turkey dinners to people on Thanksgiving for the Salvation Army, and was surprised that my car was one of the oldest ones in the neighborhood. While there were people clearly grateful and probably needed these dinners, I also saw people with $1000 TVs in their living rooms. Though I believe they give dinners to anyone who requested one. They may not have been on food stamps.

Anyway - while I am sure my limited anecdotal experiences are hardly “proof”, I would still stand by my statement that car ownership <> rich. People of very modest means still have cars. (Of course this doesn’t apply to everyone, YMMV. Void where prohibited by law.)

ETA - I don’t know what all they are buying, though I think you can get steaks etc. Usually it’s like what most people buy - lots of junk food. No, they aren’t all black or Hispanic. Around half of them are white. Thanks for playing.

1 Like

A brief history of petronormativity:

6 Likes

Thanks for playing?

Whatever, Mister. It’s interesting that you wrote “welfare” at first, and how detailed your interest is in people who receive assistance while also having nice stuff. Sticks in your craw, does it? And maybe it’s only cuz you’re on BB that you didn’t use the phrase “welfare queen”?

3 Likes

The “playing” statement was for Sam​Sam who assumed I was judging who was on welfare by race. I am fully aware on the racial stats of welfare and how whites are like 40% of it. I find it frustrating when ever poor people are brought up, one automatically assumes it refers to poor minorities. Growing up in a poor white town, I assume the opposite, usually.

How detailed my interest is in people who receive assistance also having nice stuff? What does that even mean?

Yeah I used the generic term “welfare”, though thinking about it later there is a difference between welfare and food stamps and I made that distinction when asked further about it. I can clearly see if one is on food stamps - not other forms of assistance.

Not sure where all the hostile hot buttons like “sticking in my craw” and “welfare queen” comes from. You don’t know me. You have no idea what my background is. I’m shopping in stores where it seems like every other person has an EBT card, so I’m not living in a gilded community. Not that it’s any of your business, but I grew up on gov. cheese and powdered milk. I had a long era of unemployment, and am currently underemployed, making less than half of the average median income for my region. My car was made in America in 2001. It is on borrowed time.

I don’t have any problem with people having “nice things”, though in my experience a lot of poorer people have poor impulse control and their spending habits and priorities compound their troubles. Examples: woman spending $75 on hair and nails bitching she has no money for her kids for Christmas. Friend of mine with minimum wage job who had a sound system and laser disc collection that was better than anyone’s I have known since. Friend of mine wanted $20 for diapers after buying new rims for his car the week before. And it’s hard for me to see the justification of paying $40-80/mo more for a smart phone plan (as well as the added cost of the phone in some cases) when you’re eating hot dogs and cereal everyday. Note - I’m not immune to this. While I try to be frugal, I recently splurged on the new South Park game.

But anyway - I suppose none of that is any of my business and is besides the point. My original argument and statement that cars aren’t afforded only to the rich still stands. If people doing worse off than I are some how able to afford newer, nicer cars, then obviously the car is accessible to the proletariat, not just the bourgeoisie.

2 Likes

Yes, the whole topic is a derailment, so I agree that it’s best to get back to the main one. And here’s hoping that you can find fuller employment (and a newer car) soon.

2 Likes

You didn’t say what you were judging it on in your first comment. When you say, as you did, “I see many, many people […] driving nicer, newer cars,” the obvious assumption is that you mean you see them driving by you, and so it’s not unnatural to wonder how you could presume to know they were on welfare, besides basing it on certain stereotypes.

Everyone jumped on you because (a) it certainly sounded like you were making judgements based on stereotypes, and (b) it plays into one of the most common conservative myths (welfare, Cadillacs, T-bone steaks, etc.) I think if you re-read your comment you wouldn’t be surprised that you were jumped on.

But yes, this is a derailment of the topic. Sorry.

2 Likes

Not that I consider myself a conservative, but yes, let’s stereotype conservatives by assuming that they are constantly stereotyping. :o/ I mean you really have to add some dots to connect that my one sentence observation was race based - like assuming poor=minority.

You’d think that after 128 years these stuck-in-the-past pedestrians would have updated their antiquated travel model and adapted to the disruptive technology of automobiles…

3 Likes

I’ve spent a lot of time volunteering to teach disadvantaged people financial skills. One of the difficulties is that money has to be spent NOW, because by next week you might be robbed or have to give what you have to a family member in need. If you don’t have any money, it can’t be taken from you.

Also, if you see a new car rather than a beater, it’s almost certainly leased. People who can’t afford down payments and/or can’t get credit for less than usury rates usually can still get a car lease.

3 Likes

In the failed state of a town I lived in recently, leasing of rims was becoming common. What is that, I don’t even.

Normally, you have to pay me to watch a nine-minute video, but that was just incredibly full of win. Thanks!

1 Like

Don’t forget that alcohol plays a role in a huge percentage of auto deaths and injuries, (10,000 deaths in 2010). Given the number of miles driven and the number of drivers, I’m not sure the number of deaths is that high. I’m surprised there aren’t more auto/pedestrian deaths in urban areas. The car, for better or worse, has shaped the modern landscape.

I bloody can’t…

Nine minutes? You’d haveta pay me a lot. Be cheaper to pay someone to type up a transcript.

Naw, it’s awesome. Underwater cities, jet-cars, traffic slowing down to a mere 80mph in heavy congestion… totally worth nine minutes. Just have a barley-pop in hand and sit back.

Another thing I liked was that in the early 50s, solar power was considered to be a step up the technological scale from atomic power. Advocates of fission hadn’t reached their current level of fetishism, where they literally can’t conceive of anything ever being better than atomic power (even though in real life it’s no more technologically sophisticated than running a victorian steam engine from heated rocks.) Refreshing!

1 Like

Now, hey. There’s naturally-occurring nuclear piles. That means it’s green! Are you hating on my freedoms? You are, aren’t you…?

2 Likes

I pray you are right. The tech will be ready, but will our driving culture just roll over for the robots?

best. in. thread.

fuckin saved.

1 Like

For point of reference, does anyone know how the rate of accidental deaths per miles travelled by automobile compares with the rate of accidental deaths per miles travelled in the pre-automobile age? I imagine a fair number of people died after being thrown from horses or run down by wagons, but I have no real idea how frequent such occurrences were.