Music: “Do You Feel Like We Do,” Peter Frampton on “Midnight Special,” 1975

[Permalink]

1 Like

Frampton Comes Apart! conceived by @DJRotaryRachel
(Liartown)

5 Likes

I love his playing. It was cool (though odd circumstances all around) that he finally got that LP Custom back.

Humble Pie with wicked tone coming from his Gibson below. And Frampton with a beard!
I can hear every mom in 1971 - “why are you listening to that acid rock!?”

1 Like

Thanks for that Fine Frampton Fix! Frampton Comes Alive was in HEAVY rotation during my sophomore year at university, serving as my entree to Humble Pie & much similarly marvelous music that was to follow.

The ONLY thing that could have possibly complemented the embedded Frampton video (aside from a live, perhaps non-sedated audience) would be a gravely sendoff via the gloriously guttural growl of Wolfman Jack!

There’s a good chance my son was conceived to that song. It was a favourite in the bedroom, the tempo and duration were right, my wife had a crush on Frampton as a teenager and the cheers from the crowd didn’t hurt things from my perspective.

5 Likes

What is the purpose of having so many pickups on that guitar?

The simple answer is tone. Neck pickups sound different to bridge pickups and a middle pickup gives more flexibility with sound. Many guitars have 3 pickups, but they’re often three single coils or humbucker/single/single.

2 Likes

He’s sort of the anti-Malcolm Young in that regard.

But y’know, most Strats have three pickups, and plenty of Les Pauls do as well. It just looks crowded with three humbuckers, that’s all.

Still isn’t as ridiculous as the ten pickups on my guitar:

5 Likes

You are Nigel Tufnel And I Claim My Five Pounds.

4 Likes

Calumny! Neither am I Rick Nielsen.

He doesn’t have quite enough hair. Also, I expect his 5-neck guitars are better-made than that POS a buddy of mine gave me. On mine, the 2-position switch selects between ALL FIVE neck pickups, or ALL FIVE bridge pickups. In other words, all five necks are active at any given time. Made by the defunct Tennessee Guitar company. Pretty damned unplayable, even with my long-ass arms and utter lack of dignity.

3 Likes

Still cool, though. I’ve got a thing for completely impractical musical instruments. :smile:

All you need is 4 friends with a similar lack of dignity and maybe a step-ladder?

4 Likes

Good god, but that would be the funniest Thanksgiving family musical get-together ever. Sounds like it may be tough to keep all 51 strings in tune. And it’s a bummer the 12-string player’s sweatshirt is completely muting the bass line.

And piping all that noise through a wee 10-watt Marshall practice amp is the icing on the cake.

Suddenly I feel like I just received a +5 Dignity Boost.

1 Like

I wonder how these guys would sound on that axe:

1 Like

I’ve never seen a fretless six-string. WTF?

Useful for slide, I guess. Only place I’ve seen such 6-string necks have been on these 5-neck guitars. Which, I must emphasize, are not really intended as serious instruments.

I’m half tempted to cut mine in half below the second neck, and then maybe replace the center neck (the upper one in the new triple-neck) with a bass neck. But it’d be too ugly. The whole thing is really only good for hanging on the wall and making fun of.

For what it’s worth, though, it did come with a custom flight case, so some misguided soul thought somebody might want to play gigs with it. Maybe a Cheap Trick cover band. But I’ve never owned a guitar with crappier parts and shoddier build quality before. No wonder Tennessee went out of business.

4 Likes

OMG - musical circle jerk in more ways than one (NTTAWWT)!

1 Like

Best show I ever saw - Sevie Ray Vaughn and band supported by the Fabulous Thunderbirds in 1986, partly because the encore was SRV playing an instrumental (I think it was “Scuttle Buttin’”) on a twin neck Strat before brother Jimmy came out and soloed on the second (half-scale) neck.

Even though a rat ran over my foot during the show, it was still the best gig ever.

2 Likes

Never saw SRV. :frowning:

Have seen Jimmy and the Fabulous Thunderbirds a couple of times , so that must have been an amazing gig.

2 Likes

I saw SRV about two months before he died. It was a double bill with Joe Cocker. It was a great show but two more different acts I cannot imagine. SRV was up there with a drummer and another guitarist, jamming away. Pared down. Joe Cocker came out after the intermission with a huge band, dancing girls, the works. They were both great, but it was just an odd experience to go from one to the other. I am glad I got to see him perform live.

1 Like

I like the use of the talk box. Same with Joe Walsh, and Jeff Beck live with Jan Hammer. I’m especially appreciative that this awesome instrument didn’t get played to fucking death like auto-tune. Cher was great. The others… ugh.

But I ramble.