Music: "Those Were The Days," Mary Hopkin (1968)

[Permalink]

2 Likes

Hopkin’s recording was produced by Paul McCartney

1 Like

It was inwented in Russia!

“Dorogoi dlinnoyu” (“Дорогой длинною”, lit. “By the long road”), composed by Boris Fomin (1900–1948) with words by the poet Konstantin Podrevskii. (wikipedia)

3 Likes

Horrendous (or feel free to add the appropriate German word)

On Christmas 1975, the President of Equatorial Guinea, Francisco Macías Nguema, had 150 alleged coup plotters executed in the national stadium while Mary Hopkins cover of “Those Were the Days” was played over the PA system.

Damn, that video makes me nostalgic for the 7-year-old me.

1 Like

Mary Hopkin, not Hopkins.

Thank you.

I had a fascination for this song in my younger years that I am now somewhat embarrassed to recall.

3 Likes

What a weird coincidence. I Shazam’d this very song in a grocery store the other day. It’s so rarely heard I couldn’t help but notice it.

HAHAHA. I’m sharing muzak. Nice.

That was the official song of the ending of the big 1968 teacher’s strike in NYC. It was on the air all the time and sure caught the mood of all us kids who finally had to go back to school.

1 Like

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

I was pleasantly surprised to come across it again.

2 Likes

I just think it is funny. Music that moves us can reach us anywhere and at any time. It is always a wonderful surprise to hear a song I’ve forgotten and didn’t realize I missed. I enjoy the feeling so much I intentionally try to create the serendipity with Satellite radio and other curated services that may delve into forgotten bins.

I was blasting this in my office last Friday afternoon (I’d just seen a mention on another web forum).

The 1968 Billboard Top 100 is really an astonishingly varied group of great tunes. (My father sold records in those days, I think that year’s extra profits sent my sister to University.)

The chorus of this song pops into my head every once in a great while. Surprised I even remember that much, as I was very young at the time.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.