Musk's attempt to monetize Twitter has failed

In the history books, when they define Disrupters as “people who move fast and break things”, this will be one of the examples where the disruption has negative effects for society, the area of commerce being disrupted AND for the Disrupter.

8 Likes

Why he didn’t take control of the bot accounts and sell bots as a service (BaaS) is beyond me.

6 Likes

stop it no more GIF

5 Likes

I’d suggest that that will be a blanket judgement on the idea of “move fast and break things”… when you break things you cause harm, even if your intention is to improve something (or it’s something that needs improvement)… in the case of the current wave of “disruptor” their goal is accumulating wealth for themselves, not improving society. Look at what they do, not what they say.

Making positive change works far better if it’s approached thoughtfully, and with a more holistic approach in mind. And when wealth-accumulation isn’t the primary goal…

10 Likes

That’d be a fun lawsuit given that Dorsey originally endorsed Musk’s takeover:

6 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the reasons why I said that could be fun.

4 Likes

20 Likes

What a Very Stable Genius Elongated Muskrat has turned out to be.

3 Likes

Many major advertisers have fled, but not all. Sports teams and pharmaceuticals are still spending money on the platform. I’m totally pulling this number from the air, but maybe a third(?) of the Fortune 500 are still participating on the platform. (It’s hard to tell because I block every advertiser, so these days I only see the really tiny advertisers’ messages. And even then I’m almost 100% on mastodon, and only check Twitter when someone posts an interesting link.)

Or at least they are still spending money until their ads show up immediately adjacent to some racist shitheel’s post. I bet it’ll change quickly when you see @Ford on the news in a screenshot of a tweet, sandwiched between some Nazi posting and another of Elon’s “well that sure makes you think” replies.

5 Likes

How many users are still on the platform?

2 Likes

Yep, saw this one coming from a mile away.

4 Likes

Lol

5 Likes

Yes! One might also say that his plan to de-monetize Twitter has succeeded spectacularly. He will break the economy and reality until only Dogecoin is left.

5 Likes

Well I’d argue that they aren’t trying to move fast and break patriarchy, or white suprematism, or imperialism, or oligarchy in the first place. They are usually just breaking workers’ rights and employment contracts.

8 Likes

Soooo… a podcast then? lol.

3 Likes

Nah, he’s going to miraculously get the olds to get off their TVs and stream his show off of Twitter somehow. I’m sure his good friend Elon is working on a way to do that right now.

2 Likes

His show’s viewer demographics.

5 Likes

I don’t think it’s going to be as miraculous as you think.

The olds already ARE used to streaming youtube documentaries about how Fauci is actually working for Soros and a bunch of other podcasts, tv shows, and the like.

Rokus are sold at Walmart and come out of the box with instructions on how to add Newsmax. They’re even sold as part of TVs now.

Yes, these people don’t know how to use a PC to hook into an RSS feed that scrapes their youtube and other obscure podcast channels, but this isn’t what is going to happen. What’s going to happen is they’ll pick up their TV remote and say “Tucker Carlson Show” and Roku will helpfully guide them to the app, and they’ll be on their way.

4 Likes

I’m proud of gen x.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.