With its huge new debt burden, Twitter makes less money per year than what it owes its lenders in interest

Originally published at: With its huge new debt burden, Twitter makes less money per year than what it owes its lenders in interest | Boing Boing

13 Likes

“How about $8?” begs Elon, already into the bargaining stage of his Twitter grief process. Up next: depression!

50 Likes

Schadenfrauenfelder; noun: the feeling of joy when reading news about how gloriously Elon Musk ducked up his Twitter acquisition.

29 Likes

Go fuck yourself, elon. No one else should do it.

29 Likes

Unfortunately, plenty of women have done so…

15 Likes

The advertisers are where most of the money comes from-- requiring users to pay won’t generate nearly enough to keep it profitable.

The fact is through most of its existence Twitter was not very profitable. And Elon can’t both keep his promise to the trolls who got banned while simultaneously making advertisers happy, let alone other users who will exit when it becomes a toxic cesspool. Musk has even admitted there should be content moderation, except he doesn’t specify how that will work while also allowing unlimited free speech.

Is he going to allow speech that hurts the bottom line of his other companies like SpaceX and Tesla?

Why do you think he was trying so hard to back out of the deal?

32 Likes

Wait did Elmo buy Twitter with the vulture capitalist trick of taking out massive loans against its value? Yeah he’s just here to rip it apart and get what money he can out of the deal, if any, then.

Can’t say I’ll be sad to see it go, I just hope he loses a lot more than he bargained for on the deal…

17 Likes

Only as long as he was able to… pony up the money for child support.

15 Likes

Yeah but the propaganda, hate and conspiracy theories are priceless.

11 Likes

Imagine paying for social media in this economy.

My cost of living has gone up for things that are actually necessary. And competing networks are free. If I were already willing to pay for social media, I’d be cutting out the cost right about now anyway.

Out-of-touch-billionaire is unsurprisingly out of touch.

15 Likes

Weirdly they seem to regret it later (except for one, who still sounds like she is in a cult - give it time …)

8 Likes

This reminds me of the heady days of ca. 25 years ago when it didn’t matter when an innovative company burned money like there was no tomorrow and piled up breathtaking losses - because something, something, internet.

17 Likes

Living largely under a rock, I only recently found out who Grimes is through playing Cyberpunk 2077. I thought, “Oh, she seems kind of quirky and cool.” Then I found out about the Musk connection and was sad.

10 Likes

“I need about tree fiddy.” —Elon Musk Ness Monster
sitepandawhalecom GIF

6 Likes
5 Likes

While it had about $6 billion in cash before Mr. Musk’s buyout, a large portion of that probably went into the cost of closing the acquisition.

Seriously? $6 Billion on closing fees? Legal fees? Like - what? A billion with a B??

Where? Why? Who?

I understand there are some costs involved, but how on earth would it be that much - or even a significant fraction of that much.

13 Likes

Apparently, soon to be worthless.

8 Likes

Idk the damage that it will do would be priceless for any number of adversaries.

6 Likes

It doesn’t even make sense… he bought the company at a large premium. Usually to do that kind of stripping, buy cheap, prop up the value and sell high. There’s not that much to strip financially and reputationally, well, he’s doing a great job of tanking twitter’s influence right now!

9 Likes

25 Likes