With its huge new debt burden, Twitter makes less money per year than what it owes its lenders in interest

If you remain a Twitter user, remember to do your part. Hit the “Block” button on every promoted tweet you see; especially those from the big chains. Make them take notice of how often people are rejecting their message on the platform. Make them question spending their advertising dollars on a platform that gives hate speech a safe haven.

16 Likes

Kinda. See this comment:

11 Likes

I’m glad to see he’s not letting any of us down. Mismanaging his new toy from day one. Firing execs in a manner likely to end in expensive lawsuits for him. Trying a foolish $20 a month promotion for check marks only to suddenly drop it to $8 when everyone said “no thanks.” Demanding long hours of overtime from staff, who will quickly jump ship. Oh, and retweeting political misinformation and snarky lies and just generally being a snot-nosed troll.

That ship is going down. Fast.

24 Likes

I’m seriously debating on deactivating or deleting my Twitter :roll_eyes: i rarely get on Twitter but now i really don’t see myself using it going forward

6 Likes

stock buybacks.

11 Likes

Linkedin will win. Tied to a work profile, people behave professionally. Microsoft would never allow any dissenting content, so corporations and governments will use it. Many of Facebook’s neighborhood/soccer-mom communities can easily switch over in the future.

2 Likes

LinkedIn has its own issues, but you’re right. If Microsoft is smart they’re preparing a personal identity and feed to run alongside the work related one under the same account.

4 Likes
19 Likes

Thanks to the losses at Twitter, Musk will probably never have to pay taxes again…

5 Likes

Uber-Cynical Me just popped up: Perhaps he hopes to control general political narrative, get Musk-friendly polticos into office, and thereby profit in the long term. His calculation? Democracy doesn’t get him to Mars, so to speak.

6 Likes

What with Elon overpaying for Twitter, which is haemorrhaging money and Zuck spending billions disappearing up his own metaverse, The race seems to be on to see which part of the anti-social media landscape will crash and burn first.

Now, if only we could do something about Google, Amazon and Microsoft.

16 Likes

I don’t love that he’s even on the platform at all at this point, but Stephen King’s comment is great.

24 Likes

Soccer-moms have all the buying power. Soap operas have always paid the bills for network t.v., even more than sport broadcasting. And the Karens of the world can’t stand all the political nonsense that is killing Facebook. When the social media world realigns, bland Microsoft will be left standing.

3 Likes

Partly driven by investors who didn’t believe in doing their homework beforehand.

2 Likes

Twitter, financed as precariously as the Trump Taj Mahal, but without the paying rubes.

4 Likes

Or the rubles.

7 Likes

MAGAists parachuting in to blame Twitter downfall on cancel-culture in 3… 2… 1…

10 Likes

I’m not jumping off Twitter yet. Unlike the Titanic, there’s plenty of room in the lifeboats and you can safely de-board at any time.

Meanwhile, the view of the iceberg is stunning!

17 Likes

Please note also that Musk didn’t immediately reverse 45 and all other prominent banned accounts, like he claimed he was going to; come yesterday, it turned out he’s going to ‘create a board to review it.’

I don’t know how long it will take for the complete failure of twitter under Musk, but I am here for the free entertainment, (especially since I was never on Twitter.)

27 Likes

i uninstalled the app for now. i might also deactivate. it really is a cool way to hear from certain people - reporters, authors, commentators i like. but i’m not going to use a service that seems to now be abusing its workers. ( which is also why i’ll never buy a te$la )

the cratering hole he’s making is astounding

6 Likes