Musk's Twitter lays off another 10%

Originally published at: Musk's Twitter lays off another 10% | Boing Boing

8 Likes

I wonder how much money sacking these employers is supposed to save? Especially given the lawsuits these sacking are triggering?

19 Likes

Who knows seeing how the first thing the guy who always seems to get in legal trouble did is fire a significant number of lawyers and legal consul before really anyone else at Twitter :rofl:

16 Likes

Has Musk done the math and checked if laying off everyone would balance the books? As I understand it, the massive debt financing he took on is a significant expense that’s all his own doing. First rule of optimization is optimize the things that matter first.

12 Likes

I imagine he’s just going to intentionally miss payroll in a few months and demand people still work there. He’s starting to do the “don’t pay your bills and make them fight you for it” that his Sith Lord Trump has taught people is okay.

10 Likes

Not so long ago 200 employees would have only represented about 4% of Twitter’s workforce. By the next time Musk lays off 200 people in a single day that number may represent 80% of his workforce.

18 Likes

Slashing his way to profit. I guess once there’s no one left but Elon, Twitter will be perfect.

8 Likes

The “Hoist By His Own Petard” gambit.

12 Likes

They’ve already stiffed landlords and former employees, how long will paychecks keep going through?

6 Likes

Elon Musk has an IQ in the mid-to-upper 60s.

2 Likes

What are we speculating here long-term? How long until Musk sells off Twitter – or will the company go completely under before he can gets the chance to capitalize on what he has left?
Truth be told, the brand name still has value. I just doubt anyone wants to taken on the burden of a company that’s basically a flaming paper bag full of shit at this point.

10 Likes

Yeah. The first rule of dealing with a flaming bag of shit is not to stamp the flames out.

9 Likes

It’s OK. In future, ChatGPT will write all the code and keep the systems running.

It’s been claimed that one of those fired is the manager who posted a selfie of herself sleeping in a sleeping bag on a conference room floor to show her loyalty to Musk. Reminder for anyone who’s still unclear on the concept: loyalty to an oligarch only flows one way.

19 Likes

Just as Elno voicing support for Dilbert has caused their advertising revenue to take another hit, too. (Not that there’s any connection, other than Elno being an idiot. The layoffs were clearly planned before he impulsively made any statements.)

I have to wonder how many Elno sycophants are left at Twitter. Certain visible ones got let go, and I suspect any left over have reached the “found out” stage of their relationship.

It can’t save much (or anything, ultimately), especially given how much in the hole Twitter is. It feels more like just an attempt to dismantle what’s left of the company so no one else can rebuild it after he’s forced to give it up due to nonpayment of loans… Though it’s possible it’s part of some wily (i.e. idiotic) plan that makes sense only to him.

Honestly, it seems inevitable, given that he failed to pay the people he let go the agreed severance and isn’t paying rent. He’ll have some insane spin on why this is a perfectly reasonable and good thing, not acknowledging that the entire workforce is made up of H1B visa hostages at that point.

14 Likes

$44,000,000,000 / 2000 people = $22,000,000

Each remaining employee is going to have to earn $22,000,000 for the company in order for The Grand Idiot to recoup his investment. Were I one of those employees my attitude would be, “Fuck that! If I’m going to earn $22,000,000 it’s going to be for me!”

10 Likes

Firing those people will ensure that the remaining staff will follow orders and pay for gilded gold frame Dilbert strips out of their own pockets. 4 per cubical.

2 Likes
14 Likes

Drink the Kool-aid, sleep on the floor, get fired by the sociopath anyway.

28 Likes

“When reached on a phone call for comment, Emperor PayPalpatine only cackled maniacally.”

19 Likes

“So I threw the Senate at him. The whole Senate. True story.”

9 Likes