Musk's Twitter lays off another 10%

I imagine staff meetings at Twitter are kinda like this these days (with apologies to the late great David Warner).

15 Likes

Who says the paychecks are still going through?

I’m curious if Twitter has had any problems distributing W-2’s to their current and former employees so the employees could file their state and federal income taxes. If those employees can’t meet the filing deadlines because Twitter couldn’t satisfy its obligations IMO Twitter should be penalized rather than the employees.

11 Likes

Unlikely that anyone will buy Twitter with its massive amount of debt, unless somehow it starts to make enough money to be able to cover the debt and be profitable.

4 Likes

My experimentation with ChatGPT last month didn’t exactly inspire confidence. Asked to write a script to find duplicate files, it confidently responded with a PowerShell script - which was useless. Then immediately agreed it was so when queried.
Though overall I was impressed at how it responded - a real possibility that it could write better code than the current Twitter algo - response times from the site have become insanely slow.

1 Like

I think I understand now. Elon Musk is actually Benjamin Buttons, and he’s Benjamin Buttoning all of Twitter.

Pretty soon it’s be a scrappy start up in his garage, and then, just an idea on a whiteboard.

11 Likes

Ah, I hadn’t heard “Emperor PayPalpatine” before. Very clever! :smile:

Wait, I now have my very own conspiracy theory. Musk saw his old colleague, Thiel, take down Gawker. Then Musk said, “I can do that, but bigger!” He’s showing that he’s more of a hands-on kinda guy.

7 Likes

Soon Twitter will be Elon typing bits of his wisdom into Notepad or TextEdit.

6 Likes

Elon only wishes he could ever be as cool as DW

5 Likes

Twitter rewards remaining loyal staff by decimating them

[…]

Some workers apparently realized it was game over for them when they were logged out of work email accounts, laptops, and other applications over the weekend. Earlier in the week, the business’s Slack and Jira instances were switched off, according to The Verge. It’s said Twitter hadn’t paid its Slack bill, though rather being cut off by the Salesforce-owned service, the workspace was manually deactivated by someone at Twitter perhaps to see how well teams worked without the chat tool.

Even the monetization infrastructure team overseeing Twitter’s revenue streams was hit by the job cuts, going from 30 people down to eight.

[…]

5 Likes

… if Twitter was ever screening out off-topic commercial spam posts, as of today it doesn’t look like they are doing that anymore :confused:

5 Likes

“Esther, I’m going to turn you into a dog now”

“Oh, thank you master!”

Poof!

3 Likes

Like Sears & Kmart, I guess…

1 Like

Setting aside the human misery that these layoffs are creating for those affected, finally seeing the word “decimated” used in a mathematically correct way warms my pedantic heart.

25 Likes

GIF by WWF Deutschland

5 Likes

I mean, he’s the world’s richest guy again, he offloaded all the debt from the sale onto Twitter Inc, so he won’t have any personal debt attach to him, he’s taken out a right wing target in the center of the Bay Area, used the site’s information for his own personal (and right leaning friends personal means), and sent a warning that he has enough money to do this to anyone he wants.

But,

At the same time.

He’s an absolute idiot. And what’s the plan now? Why not just shut it all down, unemploy everyone, let the debt go to creditors to scalp what’s left of the company and escape scot-free from it attaching to him? Why continue making a mockery of himself, why not just mask off and say what he did? It’s his company, he has every right to do whatever the fuck he wants with and to it. Including double birding everyone and closing it down. If he was this super-genius doing this, that’d be the next step. He’s won. Bay Area companies absolutely got the message. Bay Area employees too. He’s changed what working for a company down there looks and feels like.

So… if this was a plan, and he’s such a genius, why is he doing it in a way that is so, so dumb?

1 Like

Because he wants the captive audience. That’s all this has ever been about. He literally paid $44bn so that millions of people would be forced to listen to his commode thoughts. That’s it. That’s who he is.

People keep looking for more complex explanations, I suppose because of the magnitude of this dumpster fire. Same as when people reach for conspiracy theories to explain tragedies, perhaps. On some level it is a way to cope with the unthinkable.

13 Likes
7 Likes

Unless they chill that room to less than 40F, that is way too much sleeping bag! Baked potato in 30 minutes.

4 Likes

The Wall Street Journal reported that some employees seemed to have been laid off via email on Saturday

That’s just even more fucked up.

6 Likes

Musk wants his employees to be sharks, i.e, constantly moving. If they lie down, then sayonara.

7 Likes