My mother makes perfect rice in the microwave with this steamer lid

You will still need some kind of wrap or another tight-fitting lid for the container - either before (reheating leftovers) or after (storing what you have cooked). I am hopeful that you are not running the microwave fro 20 minutes for a single serving.

I spent a couple months beach camping on Kauai, and the list of things I cooked with only a rice cooker was bonkers. If need be, I could jam a Catappa nut where the power switch was to prevent it from turning off, and that allowed me to get it hot enough to deep fry in.

Lentil soup with watercress and papaya
Lentil soup with potato
Pancakes
Sweet potato and peanut soup
Fries
Onigiri
Curry squash
Chili
Flatbread
Curry tofu and chickpea
Cheesy potato soup
Cream of potato
Cream of asparagus
Fettucini alfredo with asparagus
Garlic bread
Tacos
Black beans and rice
More pancakes
Garlic bread
Reheated a stale donut to edibilty
Blackeyed pea soup
Sugar cookies
Tea
Stir fry with saimin noodle
(And, of course, rice)

It was like the opposite of that saying about “when the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.” I had the impetus to try every different way I could think of to exploit my one tool.

3 Likes

For small quantities you need a high end rice cooker like a zojirushi. Probably not worth it for you unless money is not an object. Some countertop electric vegetable steamers come with a rice bucket. They are cheap and can cook half a cup of rice without burning it. They’re also very energy efficient.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.