Myanmar: Ongoing Updates

15 April 2024

I’ve moved. My PC crashed, nice opportunity to upgrade but as a result getting taxes done was a bit of a nail biter. Nice to see all these contributions.

Much going on militarily with the PDFs. Obviously the biggest being a direct mass drone attack on Naypyitaw as @GagHalfrunt shared two weeks ago. Add to this the big operation in the northeast of Shan State a few months ago and more recently the tatmadaw being routed out ofmajor centers in the west, the time is ripe for the KNU to be making moves from the Karen State region bordering Thailand.

Myawaddy, a key gateway to Thailand and straddling the highway to Mae Sot, may fall soon:

Myanmar rebels fighting the junta say they have seized the last remaining military base in a key border town, dealing the latest significant blow to the country’s military rulers as they struggle to cling to power.

About 200 soldiers abandoned their base in the southeastern town of Myawaddy and have been pushed to the No 2. Friendship Bridge linking Myanmar to Thailand following an attack Wednesday night by Karen resistance fighters, a spokesperson for the Karen National Union told CNN Thursday.

“Officially we (are in) control of the town Myawaddy since last night,” KNU spokesperson Saw Taw Nee said. The loss of the major trading point with Thailand was “a big issue for the military,” he added.

CNN cannot independently confirm the KNU’s claim. The spokesperson clarified that the rebels do not yet control the border bridge, saying the soldiers are trying to get safe passage into Thailand.

White Messiahs - Meh
Bertil Lintner tears into overpaid mostly-white culturally clueless peacemakers.

Middle Class Disappearing
Within Myanmar, according to the UN, poverty is reverting back to pre-DASSK release levels. The democracy experiment had proven that when things are no longer in the grip of the military cult, the economy recovered very rapidly. Everything that has transpired economically since the coup may have confirmed how the reverse also becomes true.

2 Likes

16 April 2024

@vermes82 shared iHeart interview of Aung Kyaw Moe (former advisor, now deputy minister for human rights @ NUG) reminded me what a delightful person AKM is. He has a compassionate, broad view while also advocating strongly for a corrected version of his peoples historic claim as rightful citizens. NUG and Myanmar need more people like AKM.

Another Rohingya leader continues to reach out and share stories ;as well as many links of Rohingya in exile observing the recent Ramadan. He ate well at the conclusion last week!

The regime, meanwhile, attempted to celebrate the annual Water Festival. It looks like those who targeted MAH a couple of weeks ago are still circling.

Missile attacks on two universities in a holiday town in Myanmar killed three and injured eight, residents told Radio Free Asia on Monday.

During coup leader Senior Gen. Min Aung Hlaing’s Thingyan – or water festival – visit to Mandalay division’s Pyin Oo Lwin city on Sunday, an unknown group fired more than 15 missiles at two military universities. The blasts, which hit the Defense Services Academy and Defense Services Technology Academy, also damaged a department of a nearby hospital and Aung Myay Zaya monastery.

The missiles injured five civilians when they landed on Pyin Oo Lwin Hospital’s orthopedics department, said one Pyin Oo Lwin resident, declining to be named for security reasons.

… Residents told RFA they believe the attack was carried out because of Min Aung Hlaing’s visit. On Sunday, a bomb exploded near a pavilion in Mandalay city, injuring 12 people.

Originally the bomb story link above went to RFA in Burmese - I’ve replaced it with an english story in Mizzima.

I mentioned some time ago that Mandalay residents whose families were pressed into forced labor to clear the palace moat will not visit the palace nor encourage tourists to do so. This is to say, you may more likely find yourself there on a military friendly tour excursion. I’ve also mentioned how everyone gets around on scooters & mopeds. So this from the Mizzima piece stood out to me:

In the aftermath of the explosion, reports indicate that the Military Council is conducting clearance operations for landmines and bombs around the Mandalay moat and city walls, with a focus on inspecting young bikers, as reported by residents.

It is hard to say for sure what is going on strategically, as we wait for whatever person or group to claim responsibility. I don’t think the intention is to dissuade the average person from attending these things, but it may be. It may be a warning to stop associating with the regime. It doesn’t sound like someone was observing an SUV military caravan and detonating. I asked an observer who believes it was “targeted.”

DASSK & U Win Myint moved to house arrest in Naypyidaw
Woefully underreported as “who knows where they are - we can’t confirm one way or other”, DASSK and U Win Myint were indeed in prison and NOT under house arrest as she had been in the 90s off and on until 2008. This is proven by a story that they’ve been transferred to house arrest

Also Mizzima, I’d missed that India appears to be supplying arms to the regime (29 March '24). US should weigh in.

2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

https://archive.ph/OuBG2

2 Likes
1 Like