Mysterious crater appears in Siberian tundra

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/04/mysterious-crater-appears-in-s.html

4 Likes

“At issue is the global warming potential (GWP), a number that allows experts to compare methane with its better-known cousin, carbon dioxide. While CO2 persists in the atmosphere for centuries, or even millennia, methane warms the planet on steroids for a decade or two before decaying to CO2.
In those short decades, methane warms the planet by 86 times as much as CO2, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.”

Brings up the point again, we are past the tipping point. We are now in mitigation, not prevention.

14 Likes

If we admit it is mitigation, then it’s over. No one wants to “reduce the casualties slightly” of a war. They want to win a war. If in fact there is a “war”.

And Republicans are such venal denialists they roll back every Obama-era regulation on methane leaks during oil exploitation.

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is just Tenet happening.

1 Like

I begin to think that their “We will be dead before this affects us” strategy may have been mistaken.

19 Likes

Have hydrolaccolith been found in places other than Siberia? Canada comes first to my mind.

If hydrolaccolith can be found before they blow they could be used or mitigated, so people can move north as the climate goes south without that particular fear.

1 Like

we have been for (at least) 30 years.

9 Likes

index2

first impact v0.01

2 Likes

@heh
Pretty much. My brother used to work at the Naval Research Lab and their simulations suggested that the tipping point occurred in the late 90’s or so.

Realistically, mitigation is the difference between civilization persisting and not. Granted, it’s a harder PR sell, but it is not really optional.

18 Likes

NSFW:

“Climate change? That’s a ‘you problem.’ I’ll be dead soon.”

6 Likes

And if can’t even manage that, then we get what we deserve. But hopefully not before guillotining those responsible for the failure.

2 Likes

It won’t be a truly 2020 event until a Shai-Hulud or a Sarlacc appears in the hole.

6 Likes

oh, man, you’ve done it now. :fearful:

4 Likes

6 Likes

At least it wasn’t in a city.

1 Like

Said it before, and I’ll say it again.

• CO2 is nothing. Siberian permafrost ejecting methane once the CO2 lights the match is what is going to be the big problem. One problem that will require cross-national collaboration.

• Ha! You think that’s gonna happen with 45? If he’s in office for the next 4 years we’re f’ed

4 Likes

I can actually see that being done.as an art installation.

You know those inflatable dancing people (the ones businesses install outside of their businesses to attract clients?), use that for the tongue / mouth tentacles,
HTB1k.pwLXXXXXaiXFXXq6xXFXXXY

and use these large inflatable teeth around the (sadly not a real sarlaac) Sarlaac pit.

elephant-teeth-500x500

Hold a Rave around it.

5 Likes

That’s no mystery, that is climate change.

3 Likes

isn’t the plot of quantum of solace that the mysterious group quantum has dynamited sink holes to dam underground rivers and control the world’s supply of water?

1 Like

Oh great. Now another way that climate change is going to kill us is random spontaneous explosions?

1 Like