Mystery land buyer in California turns out to be Silicon Valley investors, to build utopian community

Maybe they thought the song Private Idaho was aspirational.

4 Likes

Is one of the billionaires in this consortium named Cross? Or, judging by some of the other renderings, Scorpio?

Looking at their site, I get a strong sense of Atlantis:Shanghai from Stephenson’s Diamond Age. Complete with Equity Lords.

The backers are all touched by this Libertarian-infused outlook to one degree or another:

6 Likes

In all likelihood?

“We used AI to make these”

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. AI does suck at drawing things like bicycles.

7 Likes

That headline, too. “Good paying jobs.” Ugh.

5 Likes

Always count the fingers stripes.

10 Likes

Maybe that’s just what these techbros’ vision of a self-riding bike will look like.

6 Likes

Humans aren’t much better.

4 Likes

SMBC A graphic situation

7 Likes

Wealthy people have a nasty habit of buying the state and local government to the degree of getting the regulations they desire.

5 Likes

Here’s another one: the sun isn’t rising over the horizon, but erupting out of the Earth between some far-off ridges. Or maybe the ball of light is just supposed to represent a nuclear explosion cleansing the area of the unworthy humans inhabiting it.

10 Likes

Or one of those domed cities from Logan’s Run?

8 Likes

11 Likes

What’s that from? Feels like I should know it.

4 Likes

Akira maybe?

6 Likes

Akira

5 Likes

I don’t know if it’s all of them, but for many, individual rights are a sub-set of property rights, because you own yourself.

Starting with that fallacy, they get to a Sovereign Citizen Lite kind of place.

6 Likes

I Win Seth Meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

4 Likes

A.I. sucks at drawing everything

If we know a lot about bicycles we notice A.I. sucks at drawing bicycles

7 Likes

until we’re in debt and have to start selling organs

7 Likes