Narcan goes OTC

Originally published at: Narcan goes OTC | Boing Boing

9 Likes

I saw a sign for it at the CVS yesterday. Apparently they’re keeping it with the pharmacists.

It’s a little steep on the price- but if I can save a life; it might belong in my emergency kit.

11 Likes

I do wonder if the stigma attached to opiod addictions will make it tough for those who need it to purchase it OTC. Can’t let this displace other ways of getting a lifesaving drug into people’s hands.

1 Like

I want to add a dose or two to mine and my GF IFAK kits. If anyone knows of a place donating them, please share.

I know there are are some tribal organizations doing programs in Oklahoma, but haven’t found a way to get some for personal use yet.

I am told statistically you are more likely to need Narcan than a tourniquet or Quikclot gauze.

1 Like

This looks like a good resource.

1 Like

I recently attended a party populated mostly by early-twenty-somethings. I was surprised to learn that some of them carry Narcan on them all of the time. I don’t know how representative that crowd was but it certainly didn’t appear to be stigmatized - just SOP for today’s youth.

4 Likes

I would venture to guess on average younger people are doing drugs. Many people know someone who ODed. And certainly opioid use has risen dramatically from when I was in my 20s, so it really makes sense if you are the prepared type.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks! Kansas has a program and ordered one!

I found out that you can’t keep it in your car where I generally store my IFAK, but my GF can put some in her purse, and most of the time I have cargo pants. I can find an Altoids box or some other box to store it in.

1 Like

Also (if you are considering first aid certification) you are unlikely to do CPR, but if you do, it will most likely be on a family member.

So please consider learning first aid, I just did it when I first had a child. I find it useful all the time. Sometimes all I can do is make the dispatcher and paramedics better informed and make the person needing help feel less stressed - even a mere first aider asking obviously structured questions and assuring can greatly reduce the stress they are under.

7 Likes

I have it a goal at work to take a CPR course this year.

When my kiddo was born I took an infant CPR course.

1 Like

Vancouver BC has a serious opioid problem, in part from being a Pacific port city where drugs are smuggled from overseas for the North American market and partly because of people with mental health issues using drugs to self-medicate. It’s considered a serious problem that’s had this step implemented by the Provincial government (per the College of Pharmicists of BC):
“Take-home naloxone kits are available at community pharmacies throughout British Columbia. Pharmacists will provide these kits free-of-charge to people who use opioids or are likely to witness an overdose.”

2 Likes

My youngest was trained to use Narcan as part of her various club activities at UBC. This was about 4-5 years ago.

I thought that was what “over the counter” meant. No prescription needed, but some gatekeeping by the pharmacists. The definitions I read don’t address it this way, so yet again, TIL.

1 Like

Operating Thetan Committee?

My TLAs are overbooked.

I hope your TLAs are good, cuz I’ll just say: OK, NP.

They do the same thing with things like Sudafed and some of the pricier OTC meds.

:confused:

2 Likes

Here’s an interesting discussion on the history and usage:

1 Like

Either that, or whisper “you should have bought me the pony I asked for when I was five” in their ear while they’re still conscious. Depends, I guess.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.