NASA has a plan to just tow an astroid around space like it's an old car

[Permalink]

About blinking time!

3 Likes

I hope they have a plan for determining whether the caves on the asteroid are really empty caves or inhabited by open-mouthed exogorths.

4 Likes

You’re thinking of Congress

7 Likes

I doubt they’ll make it that far. The possibility of successfully navigating an asteroid field is approximately 3,720 to 1.

6 Likes

I like how they’re planning to have it orbit the Moon, just in case they fuck it up and accidentally drop the rock on it. Much better to put another crater in the moon instead of accidentally destroying Moscow or something.

3 Likes

“To hide the battleship from Gamilon radar detection, Sandor devises a plan to cover the hull with asteroid fragments”

My mind went right there.

2 Likes

Microsoft made a game called Allegiance that was based on this scenareo going wrong. They even produced an intro video where the asteroid “goes rogue” and smashes into the earth. Sadly the Free Allegiance community is not what it once was, although I heard there were still some games to be had at the weekend.

1 Like

never tell me the odds!

3 Likes

The actual reason probably has to do with cost. Assuming a moon base has been built, it is massively cheaper to achieve orbit from the surface of the moon than it would be do to it from earth. The first stage of a Saturn V produced 7.5 million pounds of thrust each to leave the earth. The lunar ascent stage produced 3500 pounds total.

Even better, do all the refining on the moon, and you don’t have to waste cargo capacity carrying a bunch of useless rock to earth’s surface.

Yeah, from a PR standpoint it’s a win too, but I doubt it’s the main motivation.

2 Likes

Won’t happen if people keep voting for republicans.

Riiiight… “accidentally.”

3 Likes

I only used Moscow because it seems like Russia attracts all of the big meteor events in recent history.

2 Likes

These are not the movie quotes I was looking for…

3 Likes

Get your ticket to that wheel in space
While there’s time
The fix is in
You’ll be a witness to that game of chance in the sky
You know we’ve got to win
Here at home we’ll play in the city