NASA launch of Antares ends in smoke and flames: rocket explodes after liftoff

It really anomalied the hell out of that thing, though.

4 Likes

Two questions I’d love answers for:

How long can the ISS consumables last before they have to punch out?

What’s the turnaround time to launch the backup payload from the backup launch pad? (If this is rocketry, then there’s a redunant setup in the works. No redundancy, then it was just a PR stunt.)

You know what I hate about myself? I know what astronaut tastes like.

2 Likes

Allow me to demonstrate what said “deflagration” looks like with the addition of Hugh Jackman.

See? Explosion!

6 Likes

Explosion can be a result of many things. May or may not involve supersonic burning. But you specified supersonic burn rate (“high explosive”), so a true detonation is what is desired, and not delivered, here.

Also, Hugh who? (Yes, the knowledge I have is bought for the cost of the more socially useful knowledge I don’t have.)

Removed. A bit too far OT, even for me.

Next resupply launch is from Russia tomorrow. Then SpaceX in December.

1 Like

Crap. My daughter’s school group had an experiment aboard.

Hope they get another chance to send it up.

4 Likes

Is the headline correct? Was it NASA’s Launch or the private contractor’s launch?

And does NASA get a refund for a contract not completed, and other damages to NASA equipment?

this one’s pretty good too:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ng9i5IMtlpsC&lpg=PP1&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q&f=false

1 Like

The command voiceover goes quiet for quite a while after the explosion, then doesn’t speak again until they tell everyone to stay at their consoles. Should I assume they were speaking on different channels, as opposed to just sitting in stunned silence?

1 Like

Did the Buran ever do a spaceflight? I’m gonna have to read up on it. From what I remember, it was almost a complete knock-off of the shuttle, and didn’t ever make it to the mission pads. But I could be completely wrong on that one.

One unmanned flight, I think?

yes - one unmanned flight of buran.

Yeah. Further reading says one unmanned flight, and that the Buran was designed as an entirely military space vehicle, which I would suppose implies that certain options regarding human spaceflight in the vehicle may be on the table that aren’t necessarily available for civilian spaceflight (wink-wink nudge-nudge).

Good question.

If there ever was an excuse to sit for a few seconds in stunned silence, it’s when your multi-billion dollar rocket explodes.

9 Likes

SpaceX must be having a chuckle right now. SpaceX’s Falcons are looking interesting. I would have use a Delta. The Antares rocket system is weird. Russian designed first stage and a solid rocket second stage.

1 Like

The biggest difference is that the Space Shuttle had the main engines as part of the shuttle which is connected to the big fuel tank. Buran had only smaller engines but was strapped to a complete rocket. That helped with the payload capacity but meant fewer reusable components. Then again, in practice the reusability of the Space Shuttle was not as meaningful as initially promised.

3 Likes

Looks like one-a them thar Rooskie rocket engines failed.

1 Like