Watch: SpaceX prototype Starship rocket just exploded in a big fireball

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/29/watch-spacex-prototype-starsh.html

5 Likes

Yay space.

9 Likes

You made my heart skip a beat thinking that the one in Florida had a mishap on the eve of the human rated launch. Thankfully the writeup cleared that up.

Blowing up your early prototypes is a tried and true constant in rocket development.

29 Likes

Still not the kind of thing you’d want to see on the news the day before you are slated to be one of the first human passengers aboard the company’s other line of rockets.

24 Likes

“I felt exactly how you would feel if you were getting ready to launch and knew you were sitting on top of two million parts—all built by the lowest bidder on a government contract.” John Glenn; God speed, you.

24 Likes

Indeed, it seemed a weirdly celebratory headline for a story about the death of two astronauts. I’m glad to see it was simply misleading rather than insane.

1 Like

True, but also to be fair, the Starship prototype uses an entirely different engine, which is what was being tested, and the Falcon has a pretty enviable reliability record at this point.

9 Likes

“That was… not nominal.”

13 Likes

:eyes: holy crap!

4 Likes

well said

Are we sure the Starship blew up, and not an external tank? I thought the actual Starship prototype was the silver thing on the left…

1 Like

The Starship prototype is the tall silver tower in the center-right of the frame that starts dumping gas (unclear right now if it was O2 or methane) about halfway through the video. There’s another video in the Twitter thread that shows it performing a static fire of the Raptor engine at the base. The structure on the left is likely a holding tank for liquid fuel.

2 Likes

There’s a line in John D. Clark’s Ignition! that goes something like “Rocketry is always just one hard start away from pyrotechnics.”

6 Likes

Dear SpaceX Boca Chica,

I know your siblings over at the cape are getting all of the attention right now, and I completely get that this is part of the Starship design process. But since the general population does not get that, could you please just not blow anything up for a few days until Crewed Falcon is safely docked?

-k, thanks, bye

8 Likes

Is it OK?

ezgif-1-3a7e711cb9ca

11 Likes

Yikes! That won’t buff out.

5 Likes

Screenshot of Elon’s personal static-test control room display. :wink: :

1 Like

You actually do want pyrotechnics in rocketry… but only in the part of the engine where you want it to happen. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

That’s what we used to call “a non-scheduled energic disassembly event.” I kind of like “not nominal” better.

12 Likes

Yeah I think I read that phrase in Jim Lovell’s Lost Moon. Or “rapid unplanned disassembly” (RUD).

See also:

A friend who worked as a consultant for NASA would say to me “off-nominal” in a dry, deadpan way, and the more detached he sounded, usually the worse the situation was.

10 Likes