Nashville restaurant makes it easy for diners to buy their cooks a round of beer

Most of the cooks I have known drink some similar inexpensive canned beer towards the end of shift because it’s low in alcohol, cold, easy to grab, and a pretty good carbohydrate and electrolyte containing beverage. I think most cooks have a bit of taste fatigue at the end of shift too.

3 Likes

I don’t mind a lighter refreshing beer on occasion, Miller and the like are just awful though. Even among craft brewers you can typically find a nice blonde ale worth drinking, but then again wherei’m at we have a pretty good variety of local brewers so finding something worth drinking is easy.

1 Like

I was thinking “What level of hell is their workplace that drinking a Miller results in cheering?”
And do those who do not drink receive any sort of equivalent benefit?

3 Likes

I happen to be on vacation in Grand Cayman this week where just yesterday we saw the option to buy a six-pack for the kitchen staff on the desert menu at the restaurant Tukka for $10 Cayman = $12.50 US. They don’t specify which beer it is though. The Lion Fish tacos are good here BTW.

I used to get 32oz High Life tall boys for $1.50 at the small supermarket down the road just a couple years ago. What a steal. They are $2.50 now.

1 Like

Isn’t it common enough at sushi bars to buy your chef sake? And of course, to be polite, they drink it then and there instead of waiting for their shift to end.

1 Like

Good point. There’s a time and place for every kind of beer. Professional brewing has been in my family since 1993 and I’ve had some of the most amazing stouts and IPAs a person can imagine. When the circumstances call for it though, sometimes a Miller High Life hits the spot.

Edit: I just remembered that Pabst Blue Ribbon won a medal at this year’s Great American Beer Festival. I’m not a fan of PBR, but that’s impressive because it’s tough to medal in that event.

1 Like

A sushi chef at a place i loved to go to would definitely drink the sake if someone bought him a round. I loved that guy he was very kind and awesome, he gifted me a neat glass windchime for my bday when i went there for lunch.

1 Like

Paul Kahan got that from Marc Vetri in Philly.

It isn’t a favorite but with a burger or chili dog on a hot day… PBR is a pretty good go with.

1 Like

Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland has something similar - $10 menu item for a round and canned beer (“kitchen coffee”) on the dinner menu, or the same for a round of bloody marys for brunch. No idea of the particulars, but it always seemed nice

1 Like

PBR is one of the best beers that comes in 30 packs, if not the best.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.