Nazis have been beat before: Battle of Britain day

Per Len Deighton (in his book “Fighter”), “… the most successful fighter pilot the RAF had put into the air…” was Sergeant pilot Josef Frantisek (later killed toward the end of the BoB).

3 Likes

Big yes! Parks was also instrumental during the Bob, and – like Dowding – was the target of great jealousy. Can’t think of them without thinking of Justinian I and his treatment of one of the greatest generals ever… Belisarius.

4 Likes

Ah, now this is far superior to “punch a Nazi”. But will they be able to get enough Bf109s for us to shoot them down?

5 Likes

Interesting trivia concerning the film Battle of Britain (1969)

“Michael Caine initially thought he was too young to play a squadron leader. However, veterans of the battle told him he was actually too old for the part.” (from IMDB)*

8 Likes

For values of “studied” equal to “heavy use of shot-for-shot imitation”.

Dambusters, 633 Squadron, etc. And then there’s all the Kurosawa stuff (Hidden Fortress) he imitated for the non-flying parts.

There’s barely a shot in the first movie that wasn’t “inspired” by previous work.

7 Likes

Never saw the series, but read the books in high school and LOVED them. (I guess the series is based on just the one book, and the others aren’t actually a series but parallel narratives. Still.)

3 Likes

Well, this just copied the Dambusters first. I sadly wasn’t able to find a clip of the complete attack.

Update, I did find this:

3 Likes
7 Likes

“That’s impossible, even for a computer!” says the seasoned fighter pilot. “It’s not impossible, I used to bullseye womp-rats in my T-16 back home,” says the clueless farmboy who still hasn’t realized that he can do that because he’s an actual fucking wizard.

5 Likes

Apparently the Polish pilots were fucking vicious

Once a German pilot had bailed out, the Brits considered him out of the game and allowed him to parachute safely to the ground. No so with the Poles; they would use them for target practice or just fly close enough that their slipstream collapsed the parachute and let them plummet

But then they’d seen what happens when Nazis march into your country

7 Likes

I found the scene when they were riding along on bicycles practicing their radio procedures amusing.

5 Likes

My dad took me to see this movie while passing through London in 1969. If I remember correctly, it had been showing continuously at the theater for over a year. A pretty big deal at the time. Imagine putting together those mock battles with no CGI and few remaining authentic aircraft.

2 Likes

A reason to be filled with anticipation / worry:

2 Likes

" Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

And for all the right wingers who idolize Churchill, remember: when he said “this was their finest hour” he wasn’t talking about a bunch of dudes in polo shirts holding tiki torches.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, America has a great track record for beating Nazis, as long as its politically expedient to do so. Once the tide changes, we’re quite happy to let it slide, look at Vernor Von Braun, and operation paperclip.

3 Likes

There’s a new movie out now with a similar emphasis on the RAF’s Polish pilots called “Hurricane.”
Leading man… Ramsey Boulton! (or Iwan Rheon as he prefers to be called.)

1 Like

Oh, yes. His “repeating” of others’ works is almost overshadowed by his SW repetitions of “I have a bad feeling about this”; to “it’s operational”; to deus ex machina situations where stopped vehicles always magically restart after being allowed to cool down (which, by the way, he did in THX1138). He is a man of many repetitions.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.