Nazis have been beat before: Battle of Britain day

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/16/nazis-have-been-beat-before-b.html

7 Likes

Good read: Duel of Eagles by Peter Townsend, one of the better former flying aces turned writer.

7 Likes
8 Likes

Also, of course, turned Princess Margaret’s one true love.

3 Likes

This calls for a musical tribute

6 Likes

The entire civilized world owes a debt to Hugh Dowding and the “few” of the RAF

5 Likes

Watching that clip, you can see the influence it had on Lucas for Star Wars.

7 Likes

Disappointed in the results of his grand attack, Hitler held off on his invasion of Britain.

Said invasion plan code-named (I kid you not) “Operation Sea Lion”.

If the invasion had gone forward, Britons would have been bored into submission and had the boundless limits of their politeness tested by a bunch of tiresome right-wing trolls.

8 Likes

And don’t forget the Dambusters.

9 Likes

Ever wondered what it’s like to fly a Spitfire?

Magee

8 Likes

One woman flew 400 of them, and the Meteor too. (Plus assorted bombers and other planes.)

6 Likes

Or 699 Squadron

The Millennium Falcon escaping from the Death Star was probably 12 O’Clock High.

7 Likes

There is a lovely shout out to Miss Ellis in the recent doco Spitfire

4 Likes

Thanks. I was going to check the library for the book, but maybe they have the documentary too. Mom wired up Hurricane and Spitfire instrument panels, and was interested in Mary Ellis’ story in the paper.

4 Likes

It might have ended differently, perhaps very much like Brownlow & Mollo’s IT HAPPENED HERE, the greatest of the WWII alternate ending films, grimly realistic, and filmed on a shoestring.

4 Likes

Trailer for a Czech film about some Czechs who escaped to fly in the RAF, DARK BLUE WORLD, from 2001 It’s somewhat romantic, but grim, too.

4 Likes

I prefer the original 633 SQUADRON theme, by Ron Goodwin, it’s more adrenaline than STAR WARS.

6 Likes

Disappointed in the results of his grand attack, Hitler held off on his invasion of Britain.

Said invasion plan code-named (I kid you not) Operation Sealion.

2 Likes

Good catch. In an interview long ago, Lucas said that in prepping for SW, he had studied air battle sequences as depicted in old WWII action films.

3 Likes

And lastly, PIECE OF CAKE, the British TV miniseries about an RAF Squadron in the thick of the fighting, and one of the best.

5 Likes