Nebraska forbade cops from stealing cash from motorists, but a loophole let them carry on doing it

Jeff Goldblum What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

6 Likes

I can believe that. I’m in law school, but we were only required to take one criminal law course: Criminal Law. That class doesn’t cover Constitutional issues like the 4th and 5th Amendment. That’s all covered in Criminal Procedure. I did take that class, but we didn’t learn about civil asset forfeiture there, either. Civil law classes like Torts and Civil Procedure definitely don’t cover civil asset forfeiture. It’s not something you’re likely to learn in school. Unless it’s in someone’s practice area, I can see lots of lawyers being unaware of this issue.

6 Likes

I guess I’m shocked that any American, lawyer or not, isn’t aware of civil asset forfeiture. I mean, I read a lot, but it’s just difficult to wrap my head around the idea that anyone hasn’t encountered the concept and been outraged by it.

12 Likes

So, it’s not just this one Nebraska county that is corrupt…

And they have had years to correct it, yet have neglected to do so.
I can’t imagine why…

Well, there’s one less reason to visit Nebraska.

3 Likes

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :exploding_head: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :exploding_head: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :exploding_head: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

70 million people voted for Trump in 2020, and you’re surprised people don’t know about civil asset forfeiture?

7 Likes

From what I can tell, 40 million people voted for [anything] (R), 20 million people voted against Joe Biden, and 10 million people voted for T****. That’s not exactly the same thing.

5 Likes

looks like at least one is on the take. so yeah, why not?

Fair enough. That’s still a lot of people displaying some pretty impressive ignorance. The average Boinger keeps themselves a lot more aware of these kinds of issues than the typical American, even highly educated ones. We are not typical, is my point.

5 Likes

I can see that. I edited my comment, but mostly to clarify the unintentionally click-baity link.

Wow. I found this in another article:

In addition to being a defendant in a civil suit filed by Amazon, Carl Nelson is one of the subjects of an FBI criminal investigation, court records show.

Surely the FBI isn’t doing Amazon’s dirty work here?

2 Likes

literally highway robbery

3 Likes

Nebraska should officially be placed on a travel warning.

4 Likes

America is most comfortable with a Fascist state. We will continue to elect fascists to office and tolerate fascistic behavior by the Courts and the bureaucracy supporting such policies. It can only get worse.

Day Today GIF

Except for all the times we have not elected fascists, and have in fact actively rejected them.

But hey, let’s ignore that and let them win, shall we!?! /s

12 Likes

Welcome! :smile:

The RCMP have had their issues, but the accountability is still there, for the most part. A number of officers have been convicted of murder or other crimes for bad shootings and other misconduct in the last few years.

I grew up here never being afraid of police (white privilege alert, to be fair) but I did become afraid of them after 25 years in the US. Even as a white person I had some very bad run-ins with them, without my having done any criming. One incident involving a SWAT team kicking in the door of my house for no reason was particularly formative. It’s great to be back and not be afraid anymore.

5 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re being serious, unlike the state of affairs in the United States, which is, frankly, fucked right now.

9 Likes

What do you mean, "we?"

There is no "we"

10 Likes

It is for sure fucked… it’s not the fault of all of us. Saying that “we” voted for this or for fascism, and making no distinctions just plays into the idea that the only “real” Americans are white, Christian, conservative, etc. I fully reject that notion that we should be defined only by that, even as we are honest about our history and current situation.

7 Likes

Someone needs to outfit their car/person with hidden cameras/mics and a stack of cash, then drive around with a busted tail light and out of state plates here, to build an airtight case. Take the footage to the supreme court and the court of public opinion.

1 Like