Nebula and Hugo Award winner Martha Wells writes about how Amazon profits from pirated copies of her novels

You might as well use it yourself. The money has already been spent and Home Depot has it. Selling the card won’t change that at all. The longer you don’t redeem the credit or gift card the more money Home Depot makes off the float.

3 Likes

If you really don’t care for Home Depot i would consider perhaps donating the gift card to a local group or buying items that they might need that HD might have.

2 Likes

I’ve been seeing this surface in more than one self publishing author space. They put up a book, then they find their book is pirated, badly mangled, and then they get a copyright claim through amazon that they can’t fight.

It makes me nervous because I am leaving my publisher to self publish, and while I plan to publish wide, and use non Amazon services, realistically my friends that do this get most of their income via Amazon. It feels like a deal with the devil.

ETA: I see this also in the Etsy related spaces. Crafter makes a product, someone knocks it off from another country, then they get copyright strikes. Sometimes the pirate doesn’t even sell products. They just steal pictures and set up a fake store. Etsy is similarly crappy.

1 Like

Go to Home Depot and buy something equivalent to the price of the gift card. Here in my town, you can return the unused item for cash. I’d check with your Home Depot before doing this, just in case they insist on refunding you with another gift card.

1 Like

Returns for purchases made with a gift card or a Store Credit will be refunded as a Store Credit.

Not sure if that’s includes debit card style gift cards, though.

Agreed, hard to make a living AND topple a juggernaut.

Right there with you.

Yes to food co-op groceries. No to HolePaycheck (now “AmaHole”).

Yes to using up whatever we’ve got on hand. No to buying new or more whenever possible.

People think I’m crazy for avoiding Amazon and Whole Foods.
I’d just rather keep my money local and my locals employed, my neighbors fed.

Every year at winter holiday, we “go shopping in our house” for stuff we love so much we want our friends to have it so they can be amazed. That’s usually books, honey we harvest from rescues and cutouts, dried fruit, worms in a “starter” worm composting bin, tools, and things we knit or sew.

(We make our own birthday cards and holiday cards too. Art therapy + Keep Austin Weird + completely customized and very low-tech. Strongly recommended.)

3 Likes

Eta: addressed above, I now see. Enjoy!
I believe BB’s very own, seemingly long-gone Cory Doctorow ran this experiment nearly twenty years ago… I believe it did well, he did write the results. Then he became a ‘Famous Author’. So, yeah, it did extremely well!

I’ve also stopped using Amazon and WF, except for free downloads of library books. It does help to live in Chicago, where there are dozens of better places to buy food.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.