Netflix cracks down on VPNs, Tor, and other proxies, to enforce region-blocking

My wife uses to watch Japanese Netflix and our kids have their Japanese favourites, which are not provided in other Netflix regions. And so Netflix looses all its coolness and becomes bad guy.

2 Likes

the consumer has every right to pirate it… I am just not seeing how this opinion developed, OTHER than as a quasi-political-sounding way of excusing content piracy.

You have a moral right to do anything that doesn’t negatively affect others. The idea that it negatively affects content owners to pirate their stuff is iffy at the best of times but even accepting it; when there’s literally no way to pay them for the content, it’s impossible for pirating to negatively affect them.

Of course the law doesn’t agree, but when people talk about “rights” they usually mean moral rights not legal ones.

5 Likes

Hey Netflix, why not offer a premium service that includes your enormous American content pool.

Charge double, pay the content leeches, and everybody gets their TV.

Hey, it’d still be cheaper than cable or satellite.

3 Likes

Yep.

Netflix would be an amazing deal if they had what I want to watch when I want to watch it.

At double for a proper service… I’d pay.

They are the only legit content service that doesn’t make me feel like a chump - buy a disc and experience inconvenience and ads?!?

3 Likes

Amazon Prime Video is getting pretty good. And they’re doing their own original content there as well (Transparent, etc.)

What bums me out is that I can’t find an Anime solution that has both Japanese and English dubs. Crunchyroll is great if you just want subs. But some series I actually prefer the English dub (Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, among others)

Also, Amazon Prime offers a hell of a lot more than Videos, you of course get free 2-day and next-day shipping on a lot of stuff, you automatically earn Audible credits, there’s the Kindle owner’s lending store, Amazon prime music library. It’s a whole ecosystem of its own. But it’s more expensive than Netflix (by about $5 USD per year.) Combined the US Netflix selection and the Amazon Prime stuff seem worth it to me to pay for both, but it’s ridiculous the lack of selection even in Canada for fuck sake.

A lot of Americans don’t even consider Canada really even a different country. I mean they’ve got their own currency and national sovereignty and of course they’re politically doing their thing. But Canada’s got practically the same culture as we do, similar economic status, and the geography is the same as the northern US border for the vast majority of Canadians because that’s where they live. Why do they get the shaft on distribution? Totally unfair. Who’d blame them for circumventing geo-locks?

2 Likes

If I want to watch it, the owner must be legally obligated to sell access.

If they refuse, they lose distribution rights.

1 Like

I won’t argue with that. If they won’t do business with me, then what’s the point of me honoring their copyright?

I’m not sure I’d necessarily go that far. But what I would say is that if they’re selling internet access to something to one person, they have no moral right to discriminate against me because I’m in a different location than that other person. The internet is fucking global. Geographic restrictions are at best nonsense and at worst a way to enforce artificial scarcity on an unlimited good with uniform cost of distribution. It’s not logically Netflix’s concern where the hell I am if I want to watch something in their catalog.

That’s forced on them by dinosaurs in hollywood who still think that it takes six months by galleon to deliver goods from England to the New World and that the paupers laboring in the fields are too ignorant to know that someone else is getting better and more stuff than them while paying the same amount.

4 Likes

Hear, hear!

If it’s for sale, no discrimination against buyers!

If you won’t name a price (and it’s available to others), then the price is $0.00

2 Likes

That’s a big AND though… Netflix.com uses HTTPS, YouTube even sends their videos through HTTPS, Reddit allows HTTPS, pretty much any website worth connecting to with a login uses it precisely because without HTTPS it’s trivial to steal passwords. It’s even at least theoretically possible to do so on other networks, such that VPNs shouldn’t be seen as anything more than a band aid solution, since they only protect traffic between you and the VPN exit point, rather than to the service.

2 Likes

You know, I haven’t checked. But even an ec2 micro could do the job.

And the delicious irony of that is Netflix uses aws for content, but they cache it at providors. So streaming through a micro would essentially be pulling from a next door neighbor and sending it round the world to get to you :D. How’s that for efficient use of network resources?

1 Like

One word: Licensing

I used to work for a streaming TV service at a startup for a year. The biggest hurdle that the company dealt with was content providers and licensing.

Netflix doesn’t have the right to offer you American content if you’re outside of America per their contracts with content providers, I expect.

2 Likes

and

What alternate universe do you live in?

My boss and I exchange email at 1 AM on some days or are chatting on IRC at 10 PM.

1 Like

A universe where most of our email users are hourly and make minimum wage.

They don’t do a lot of things at Mozilla that are frankly standard operating procedure in business IT. Like use standard imaging.

Well, to be fair, when I worked at Microsoft, I was still pretty much expected to check my email after work and could get to it. :slight_smile:

There is a classic difference between using tech at a business and using tech as a tech company too.

1 Like

I’d be surprised if the content owners weren’t swayed by $

They often have other deals with a different set of parties for other parts of the world. It is pretty complex.

2 Likes

All because the pressure of the RIAA. Pretty sure netflix themselves don’t want to do this regional bullshit since it locks out every market not america since as far as I can tell EVERYONE ELSE gets shit on content-wise.

1 Like

it is pretty complex

No argument :frowning:

Watching Game of Tbrones has become a “moral right.” Perhaps we ARE doomed…?