Netflix demands Net Neutrality, but makes an exception for T-Mobile

[Read the post]

Netflix is generally on the right side of Net Neutrality, but they’re willing to play the hand they’re dealt when it comes to carrier bullshit. If Netflix can make a deal that makes the service better for their customers, they’ll do it, even if it’s premised on the carriers breaking neutrality.

1 Like

It almost sounds like there might be factions among the executives.

Classic corporatism!

Rules are good when they benefit us. The same rule can be ignored if ignoring benefits us…

This is the reason that the money shouldn’t be allowed to rule over evidence and logic in regulations, and why we shouldn’t rely on corporates to do the talking in these situations.

This is undeniably hypocritical of Netflix - after entering peering agreements that enabled quota free access in Australia to some ISPs they issued a press release stating that they realised too late that this was counter to net neutrality, and now their doing the same thing with T-Mobile with the addition of asymmetric quality penalties (from what I’ve heard BingeOn was doing a lot worse than capping videos to 480p in most casts) which is even worse. In fact, I don’t think quota free deals are inherently wrong as far as net neutrality goes, because net neutrality requires fair treatment and most quota free deals I’ve seen are based on mirroring content within the ISP’s network - making it cheaper for the ISP to deliver and therefore fair to charge less for it (as long as large data caps aren’t prohibitively expensive so that it isn’t a huge penalty to competitors and there’s no speed tampering). But Netflix stated otherwise, and this isn’t even the only reason their partnership over BingeOn is dodgy from a net neutrality perspective.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.