Netflix sinks 1899 after one season

Ooh!! I was listening to that a few years ago and fell off/got caught up in other stuff. This reminds me to catch up!

I loved Dark.
This was nowhere near as good. It made no sense whatsoever. Full of repetitive dialogue and scenes stretched overly long. It IS like Lost in that the makers want us to buy into it being a puzzle to try and cover up the fact this was so dreary and disappointing. The last five minutes are laughable. It’s reasonable to cancel it and try to put money into some genuinely good sci-fi which is sorely lacking these days. Westworld, Raised by Wolves, etc. if not garbage at the start sure is garbage by the end.

1 Like
3 Likes

I watched two or three episodes and got a strong Lost-like impression, so I quit before the polar bear showed up. Glad to hear it had a better ending.

Now you made me disappointed all over again. That show was fun.

1 Like

Available now on Amazon Prime. :+1:

there’s a fairly equal number of men and women. i’m not sure it technically passes the bechdel test though. the few times women aren’t talking either with or about a man, the other women either don’t answer or they speak a different language. ( i love how many languages there are on the show )

it’s on the edge though as many conversations don’t necessarily revolve around the men, but men still always seem to be mentioned

two episodes to go now. maybe i’ll finish tonight.

for me, the parallels have only grown ( every episode starts with a flashback, one of the characters is running out of drugs, technology straight out of myst, mysterious coded messages, … )

on the bright side, it is not the jack show. he was the worst thing about lost, and got way too much screen time. there’s no similar character. thank god

3 Likes

There are conversations between Ying Li and her mother that are not about a man. (Cantonese)

Tove also has conversations with her mother about religious stuff. (Danish)

I think that it passes the Bechdel Test.

1 Like

so i thought about those, but those are basically about men implied

tove in particular does try to talk to her mom about general things, but her mom only responds when the topic is about krister, her father, or the baby’s father

ying’s conversations with her mom mainly involve learning to become a wife. though possibly the “why are there so many utensils” comment passes. and i think the talk she had with her friend over tea in her flashback ( spoiler avoidance ) passes.

as i said, i think it’s close. it’s way better than most shows on that front

2 Likes

I don’t think that Ying Li and her mother are talking about how to become a wife in the conversation in their chambers at the end of the first episode, but the conversation is rather ambiguous.

I suppose that if god is a man, then Tove’s conversations with her mother do not pass.

There is a brief conversation between Tove and her younger sister about a ghost ship halfway between episode one, though.

1 Like

I’m a huge Bechdel fan though many films pass the “test” without meeting the spirit, but, I’m pretty sure that if not in the original DTWOF panel, but in her later talking about it, the women characters should not be related.

5 Likes

Shoot. I did not know that. I’ll have to rewatch 1899 at some point to check. The British socialite Virginia is one of the few people who speaks multiple languages, and she has several conversations with women, but I don’t recall the details of each conversation.

Now you’ve got me wondering if Dark would pass…

4 Likes

I haven’t watched it yet, but I’ve planned on it. As a cross section of sailor and coward with an overly active imagination, I really needed the right mood. Seems like Netflix it following the HBO Max model, but maybe they’re the original pioneers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.