Netflix stock plummets 35% after fall in number of users

A fair comparison, but I personally find the FBI warnings and the often difficult-to-skip previews for years-old “upcoming films” to be much more annoying than using my record player. But YMMV.

4 Likes

i know. i thought about cancelling when there was no season three, but season one is still there to watch again whenever i need

… unless you meant something else :innocent:

and the cw. free! :wink:

is it possible to get some of the various streaming series on dvd? i’ll admit i haven’t looked, but that’d have been an easier way for me to watch things like the expanse, or the new star treks for sure…

1 Like

I’d expect them to create a lower tier, like Hulu’s model—pay less to watch ad-supported, pay current rates to avoid ads.

3 Likes

If you follow the stock market (I do), it has been evident that the market has been undergoing a big adjustment period for months now as the pandemic is nearing an end. Many of the companies that soared during the initial phases of the lockdown, like the streaming services like Netflix and Roku, other business applications like Zoom and Docusign have come back to earth, and home based items like Peloton have undergone a big comedown.

In the short run individual companies and their stock valuations can get out of whack as investors anticipate coming events and try to come to grips with how it will affect a company’s income and profits. In the long run, it tends to normalize. Netflix has always enjoyed a premium valuation as they continued to grow rapidly for years. The bigger a company gets, the harder it is to maintain the same hyperbolic growth. Now that the growth is slowing, the reckoning has come for the stock pricing.

4 Likes

I totally forgot this! It was very boring indeed.

vhs warning GIF by Royal Smith

2 Likes

I agree. It would make economic sense to do that, because it would be far less likely to alienate customers, unlike raising rates or adding commercials.

It was one of the reasons why people were so eager to jump to streaming services - the cable cos refusal to go ala cart.

6 Likes

That’s what Mindy said earlier.

3 Likes

i don't know idk GIF by Robert E Blackmon

2 Likes

Like YouTube and Spotify with their peasants and Premium versions.

2 Likes

Frankly speaking i find Hulu’s ad supported version really obnoxious. Me and my SO put up with it to watch some shows but we both get irritated at the frequency of the ads, we would pay for not having ads except we don’t use Hulu often enough to justify it. If Netflix had an ad tier i’m sure it’d be useful to some people but i would hate every moment of it.

4 Likes

MAYBE USE CAPS!?

4 Likes

Or just larger letters

4 Likes

They can all fuck off as well, ads before and during content that users already paid for.

8 Likes

Like YouTube or Crunchyroll. Sometimes there are so many ads that I almost quit watching a vídeo.

3 Likes

I don’t know how it is in other countries, but in Brazilian cable TV we have to deal with commercial breaks… A lot of them.

3 Likes

Here too, except for premium cable channels like HBO that you pay extra for.

3 Likes

On normal commercial TV in the UK it is the same, except for the BBC. You don’t pay for the channels so you have to watch the ads. That seems at least honest.

5 Likes

I watch very little live TV anymore, mainly just SNL. I just mute the commercials when we watch it. But I get commercials when I watch youtube, of course.

4 Likes

When cable TV services arrived in the country, companies advertised them as a premium service, for those who were looking for something different from open TV.

Gradually, the quality of the programs dropped and commercial breaks began to appear.

It seems that streaming services are out of options and will follow the same path, only faster.

6 Likes

I got Netflix back in Pandemic Season One and haven’t watched traditional TV since, the feeedom from adverts is bliss and it also means I don’t live by a television schedule either.
I do get adverts on my favourite radio station but if I listen via my phone they cut most of them and play more music.

4 Likes