Neurodiversity ♾ Think Different

I’m German, how the hell can I tell the difference?

9 Likes

Of course, for full discursive flexibility, one needs — “needs”, not “wants” — multiple, different, (seemingly) redundant methods of marking levels of reference (am I talking about the thing, or am I talking about the word “thing”?); of parenthesis (including where there is meta-discussion [or even meta-meta-discussion {and that way leads us to Gödel-Escher-Bach}]); and of diversions and lists.

10 Likes

That reminds me, my next try to read it is nearly due. Every 5 years or so since the first edition.

13 Likes

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt Titus Burgess GIF by NETFLIX

9 Likes
4 Likes

It’s only been a hundred years since Grunya Efimovna Sukhareva first described autism to the world, and the men who came after have all gone down terrible dead-ends pathologising every aspect of the condition. Now here it is in 2024, and they’ve decided that autistic people have feelings after all. Great catching up, guys!

11 Likes

Torn between enthusiastic :+1: and sarcastic :+1:. Gues I will just go with both?

10 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

Feeling very seen…

5 Likes
7 Likes

I wonder if authoritarian arseholes like Abbott might execute this man because it’s obvious that he’s innocent, just to make a point.

They literally made an episode of Bones about this idea: about a man under suspicion of murdering his child because his affect didn’t match what the (Neurotypical) investigators expected. That story at least had a slightly happier ending, in that at least he was free, proven innocent, and allowed to grieve in his own way. (Probably not coincidentally, one of the perihelions in Bones’ orbit around outright saying that Brennan is autistic.)

6 Likes

George Santos talking to a Twitch streamer about how a hyperfixation on Pokemon lead to autism diagnosis. It’s one thing to not wanting to doubt someone being that way, but then again it’s Santos :thinking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LivestreamFail/comments/1fwerup/after_a_long_discussion_about_pokémon/

3 Likes

One of the comments had the right of it.

The streamer offered details about his pokemon obsession, and how that led to his Autism Dx. Santos was then all “oh, hey, me too!”. He didn’t offer any new details, he didn’t offer any differences with his own experience, he didn’t add when he was diagnosed or how or who. He just joined in with whatever the other guy said.

Most Autists I know wouldn’t be able to avoid giving more details if they wanted to.

Santos’ behaviour in that little snippet doesn’t prove anything one way or the other, but insofar as it shows anything, I read it as evidence of a practised liar who reflexively "me too!"s anything anyone else says to ingratiate himself. Not of an Autist sharing their diagnosis story.

I’m not going to outright say he’s not, but it’s going to take a hell of a lot more than his word to convince me. Proven compulsive liar and all that.

10 Likes
6 Likes
8 Likes

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

7 Likes
7 Likes

A mouse model… :hushed: wtf? :man_facepalming: so glad to see a researcher flatly own up to a mistake.

3 Likes

Rule #1 of working with autistic kids is that is you have met 1 autistic kid, you have met 1 autistic kid. The spectrum is just that and the range is breathtakingly huge. Mouse models were never going to do anything more than superficially mimic the behavior of one small subset, which is pretty much a useless thing. Agree, it is way past time to own up to this as a “looking for your keys under the lightpost, because that’s where the light is” kind of thing. Can’t get past it soon enough.

10 Likes